Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2009 15:00

WARNING

Hi! everyone... New to this site....Need a bit of feedback. Feeling a bit pressured to buy my new system earlier than expected.  Although I plan on it in a couple of weeks.  The following info is the problem for feeling rushed.  When one receives such a message does it mean I only have days to live  :emotion-9:... LOL.  I am presently keeping my system powered up so I no longer encounter such a message at start-up..

Just how serious is this notification ? Would appreciate any and all thoughts... Thanks ! and will be awaiting your input...

DeeDee49F

Warining:  Dell's Disk Monitoring System has detected the drive 0 on the
primary EIDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications.  It is
advisable to immediately back up your data & replace your hard disk drive
by calling your support desk or Dell Computer Corporation.

- Stike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the stetup utility.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 29th, 2009 16:00

Hi, Deedee:

This is telling you that your hard drive is about to fail. You may not have more than a few HOURS, so please back up your important data right away!!

Fortunately, a replacement hard drive is very cheap. If you would post the model of your system, I can locate something for you.

1.1K Posts

January 30th, 2009 05:00

I second what Osprey said.  I concur with the sentiment of replacing the drive.

Cute story however.  My parents have a PC that started saying "Imminent drive failure....back up and replace drive."  This started 3 years ago.  So they decided to do nothing and then after 2 years decided to buy a new pc and use this one with the bad drive as a junk PC till the drive failed.  1 year later it's still running fine.  So you may have failure in a few hours, or several years!!!!!

4 Posts

January 30th, 2009 09:00

Cute story, as well....Planning on giving my system to my Dad...Will be purchasing Inspiron 530 this evening...Thank you for your input.. Made me laugh :emotion-4: because our stories are similar..   Have a great day !  :emotion-2:

4 Posts

January 30th, 2009 09:00

Hi! Osprey:

Appreciate your help !  My system is so old that I will look into the hard-drive replacement at a later time... I am going ahead with purchasing a new system... Very kind of you to try and locate something for me...You may hear from me in the future...Thanks ! :emotion-21:

1.1K Posts

January 30th, 2009 12:00

Deedee,

After reading the last couple posts I realized that my cute story however sounded rather sardonic.  The way I meant it to come out was that I agree with Osprey and the story that I was telling was supposed to be cute.  I can see how it sounded rather caustic.  Sorry!  Nice to see you have upgraded.  New computers are always great.  I am expecting my 6th Dell PC tomorrow.  2 Inspiron 1720s, 1 E1705, 2 XPS 420's and 1 Insprion Mini 9.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2009 17:00

Why the Sorry !  We must be mis-communicating...........Your post just confirmed what I was thinking, myself..........

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 31st, 2009 04:00

LOL!! Good story.

No Events found!