Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2012 14:00

Want to add a SSD in my new XPS 8500

Hi,

I have a XPS 8500 with a 2TB HD with 32gb as SRT. But i want to add a SSD by itself so i can have windows installed and most of my programs installed on it, while keeping the 2TB for other storage uses.

How would i go about reinstalling windows on this new SSD?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

June 22nd, 2012 15:00

Hi sillyjph3

Welcome to the Dell Community.

Appreciated the fact that you completely understand the pros and cons of having a different HDD on your computer, However as you have these couple of doubts I would be glad to assist you.

Firstly, you can purchase any standard solid state drive of any capacity you want. But as far as the brand is concerned I personally would go for Western Digital, and would recommend the same to you as well.
Secondly, in order to install windows on the SSD you can do with the Operating System Disk and the Drivers and Utility Disk which is shipped by Dell.
Please follow the steps for running the OS Installation from the Cds.
-Insert the Disk
-Restart the computer and keep tapping the F12 Key and it would load to One Time Boot Menu.
-Select the CD/DVD Group and hit Enter
-It would ask you to press any key to continue booting through CD, Hit Enter.
And it would show windows loading files and would give you the further options to proceed.

Hope that would answer your queries and if you need any further information or assistance please post back, would be more than happy to help you.

Thank You.

7 Posts

June 25th, 2012 18:00

Could i do a factory setting restore from the partition on the HD and restore it to a different hard drive? Or do i have to use the CD's i made when i first got the computer?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

June 26th, 2012 17:00

Hi sillyjph3

Thank you, for your reply.
Well you cannot  restore it to a different Hdd by doing the PC restore from the partition. But you would have to use the Cds that you have created. And that is the only way that it would work.
Please post back the outcome, after troubleshooting. Please follow the steps that i have mentioned on the previous post to perform the OSRI from the cds. 
Would be glad to assist you further.

Thank You, 

27 Posts

December 28th, 2014 04:00

I would replace the 32 mSata with a 256 or better mSata... 

Helpful from this post,, 
 http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19459285 

Posted by JesterH

Hi-

I am new to forum.  In any case, just wanted to give my experience of updating XPS 8500 sent with Windows 7 on 2 TB hard drive without a SSD and 8gb RAM.  I typically do not upgrade my components, but thought I would give a try and it was relatively easy.  Here are the steps I used to update my computer to 16gb Ram and install MSATA SSD with moving Windows 7 O/S to SSD.  This was a clean reinstall.

1.  Purchased from crucial.com: Crucial M4 msata SSD 128 gb: Part #: CT3256231 - guaranteed to be compatible

2.  Purchased from amazon: Samsung Electronics Extreme Low Voltage 30nm UDIMM 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM MV-3V4G3D/US  - This matched the latency I saw in another forum - after install, I checked it was running 800mhz using CPUID software

3.  I first installed the RAM on the motherboard and used CPUID to verify installation and speed

4.  I then installed the msata crucial drive - you do NEED 2 m2 3mm screws that don't come with drive

5.  I then used disk management ( type "fdisk" into search bar) - and formatted m4 crucial disk so it could be recognized  - in retrospect, this may not need to be done - but it did verify disk was present

6.  Made backup/recovery disk using dell datasafe (can be found under programs) - I used a 8 gb USB stick for backup

7.  Went to BIOS - F2 - on startup - and then set boot sequence to USB drive first

8.  I then disconnected the 2tb hardrive (removed power and sata cable from back of drive)

9.  Plugged USB drive into front USB port

10.  I then rebooted the computer and went through prompts to "reinstall factory software"

11.  After reinstallation, I removed USB backup stick , and booted computer - and it worked!

12.  Next I reattached the 2tb hardrive on SATA3.  

13.  I went back to BIOS to make sure the M4 crucial drive was 1st in the boot sequence.

Hope this serves as a tutorial for anyone looking to upgrade.  Total time for me was about 2 hrs over 3 days (i spent my time reading forums and had to work).  My windows now boots in about 20 seconds!  The windows experience index is 7.9 for primary disk transfer rate.  I had a 128gb disk, and after install have about 61gb free space left.  I kept the partition and OS on the original 2 TB drive.

Also Here is how I set up 256 SSD, 256 mSata and 2 TB HHD with BD/DVD/CD ODD (optical digital drive).. 

You can absolutely use mSata on MSata1 for OS and another SSD on port0,,, both are Sata 6.0 Gb/s ports... 

Then add another SSD or HHD or Optical Drive to port 2, 3, or 5. Having a Sata III 6.0 Gb/s spinner (HHD) gain no benefit on a Sata III port except for Burst Speed. But a SSD on a Sata II 3.0Gb/s does show increase over HHD on Sata II... 
Although there are 5 available Sata ports on the 8500. There is no Port 4 as per Dell Manual.
THese are described in the "Owner's Manual" on page 22, in reference to the Motherboard diagram on Page 21 for the 8500... 

item )  version and speed  (Name of Port)

11) mSATA slot (6 Gb/s)  (MSATA1)

12) SATA 2.0 (3 Gb/s) drive connector (SATA 2)

13) SATA 2.0 (3 Gb/s) drive connector (SATA 3)

16) SATA 2.0 (3 Gb/s) drive connector  (SATA 1)

20) SATA 3.0 (6 Gb/s) drive connector  (SATA 0)

I am using all but port Sata 3... 

PM830 SSD mSata 256 GB on MSata1 
840 EVO SSD 256 GB on port Sata 0
HHD Seagate 7200 2 TB on port Sata 2
ODD (DVD/CD/BD) on port Sata5

No Events found!