Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 25th, 2006 02:00

Windows Media Center Edition, brand new computer, "Decoder Error" message can't play DVD

Just received the E1705 in the mail.  When trying to play a DVD, got the "Decoder Error.. the video decoder malfunctioned, restart media center/computer .."  Restarting did not help.

Having googled the Net, some suggested that it's the nVidia DVD decoder comes with the computer expired.  This is strange since I only received the brand new computer from Dell yesterday.

Anyway, what is the problem, and how could it be fixed? Thanks.

2.5K Posts

May 25th, 2006 06:00

Which player are you using to play your DVD?

4 Posts

May 25th, 2006 13:00

I got the same error yesterday while configuring media center on my new e1405. I wasn't even playing a dvd.

Is there something we're supposed to download that has this decoder?

5 Posts

May 25th, 2006 14:00

Yes, actually it happened when I configure the media center for the first time after boot up the brand new system. The configuration could not be completed. Then when I tried to play a DVD using the media center, the same error message showed up again.

2.5K Posts

May 25th, 2006 22:00

Please check which DVD player is on your system (Cyberlink PowerDVD, Intervideo WinDVD, Sonic CinePlayer, etc.) then uninstall it, reboot and reinstall.  Make sure you have its setup CD before proceeding with the uninstall.  If not, please see: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_mediaexp&message.id=2495

2.5K Posts

May 25th, 2006 23:00

By the way, try running the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility: 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=de1491ac-0ab6-4990-943d-627e6ade9fcb&displaylang=en

5 Posts

May 26th, 2006 02:00

Apparently we had a racing condition in replying/editing/posting.;-)  thanks again for the help, and I will do that.

5 Posts

Esquire, thanks a lot for the link for the Windows XP video Decoder Checkup Utility.  It showed no MPEG 2 decoder installed.

The shipping slip said 'PowerDVD v5.7', but it is not installed in the System, and that there is no installation CD came with the computer.  So the computer is hopeless to play DVD? Perhaps I am asking too much, but since it's the Windows Media Center Edition, I thought in the least I should be able to pass the initial setup of the 'Media Center'.

Message Edited by cartbert on 05-25-200610:29 PM

2.5K Posts

Hmm.... I don't recall changing my user name :smileyvery-happy:

Assuming you have a DVD drive ordered and installed on your computer, you can ask them to send you an installation CD:

1 Message

August 24th, 2006 00:00

I got a Inspiron 9400, have to reinstall the operating system, and requested the installation CD´s from Dell Hardware Warranty Support, department.

I just installed the Media Center OS, and drivers. I open the Media Center program, and was able to setup the initial options, pass througt the internet connection test, and the optimization for the looks of my display.

But when I tried the set up of my speakers. I got a Decoder Error.

It seems that you need to install the Aplication CD in my case the CyberLink Power DVD 5.7 software.

I installed these program and it fixed the problem, I went throught the speaker set up and finish the configuration of Media Center.

Basically to set up the media center it seems that you need to have installed the drivers for the sound and Video. An also the aplication for the Power DVD.

In my case I have a combo Drive (no DVD Burning).

Thanks, for the initial posting I got fixed my problem in just 5 Minutes.

3 Posts

October 31st, 2006 22:00

Actually, this has happened to me also.. no installation CD and there is nothing on the Resource Cd.. figures..
I have had nothing but problems and they keep replacing hardware, piece by piece.. so I have sent another email asking for the installation CD :smileymad:

October 28th, 2011 14:00

Just received the E1705 in the mail.  When trying to play a DVD, got the "Decoder Error.. the video decoder malfunctioned, restart media center/computer .."  Restarting did not help.

Having googled the Net, some suggested that it's the nVidia DVD decoder comes with the computer expired.  This is strange since I only received the brand new computer from Dell yesterday.

Anyway, what is the problem, and how could it be fixed? Thanks.

No Events found!