failax
1 Copper

RE: XPS 435MT SSD

Jump to solution

A photo will be great, to have the security that i connect the cables from the right places πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
HB2
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

OK - I'll try to get to that this afternoon.

Looks like I can add an attachment in this forum - so that should work.

0 Kudos
HB2
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Here is the first photo of the SDD and HD - note that the SATA connection is the smaller - also called serial ata

close up of sdd

sdd and Hd connections

sata connections on main board

Note that one cable has multiple power connections that you can use.

You need two separate sata connection cables

HB2
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Here is the second photo of the SDD and HD - note that the SATA connection is the smaller - also called serial ata

sdd and Hd connections

Note that one cable has multiple power connections that you can use.

You need two separate sata connection cables

HB2
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Here is the third photo of the  sata connections on the mother board - 

HB2
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Here is a better photo of the SSD connections.

failax
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank hou very much, maybe you have uploaded the same photo, but i understood the same, it was how i imagined.

If i want to buy another sata connection cable, i must search a particular model (ide/sata sata/sata boh..)?

0 Kudos
HB2
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I'm not sure about purchasing another SATA cable.  Guys at bestbuy or radio shack could help you.  Just make sure they know you have SATA 2 (not SATA 3).  Not sure that matters - probably doesn't.

You probably could buy a cable for a lot less on amazon if you are confident that your are picking the right cable.  Otherwise use a local computer store to get assistance.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
argvargc
2 Iron

Jump to solution
I just got a Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB SSD installed today on my Dell XPS 435MT. My configuration was a single 500GB HDD with around 100 MB of partition for windows C:, a recovery partition E: and a large data partition 😧
Basic process I followed was

1. Install the two softwares provided by Samsung
  2. Shutdown the system. 
  3. Disconnect the DVD drive and instead plug in the SSD. I did this mainly because I did not have a spare SATA cable. I will have to buy one soon. For now, I used the one for my DVD/ BD drive since I almost never use the drive.
  4. In the BIOS I changed from IDE to RAID but that caused some reboot so I changed it back to the way it was.
  5. Booted into Windows as normal and did the cloning using the Migrate software I installed in step 1.
  6. Cloning got over in 11 minutes for data around 40 GB of C: drive
  7. After cloning I was prompted to reboot
  8. In BIOS I set booting from SSD - basically changed the boot sequence
  9. Rebooted
  10. Windows from my SSD was up and running. My older Windows partition was changed from C: to F:. The new Windows from my SSD got drive letter C:
  11. Did a check on the performance
  12. I got a figure around 180 MB/s and around 250 MB/s for reads and writes respectively
  13. Did performance tuning and OS optimization
  14. Now the read and writes are well beyond the actual specs. I get 2500  and 2100 respectively.I still see Magician telling me that I should be in AHCI mode. I am not sure what would happen if I try to put into RAID. In step 4 I tried that but Windows would not boot. System would reboot every time.

I am happy with the initial performance improvement that I see.

It took me just 1 hour to do all of the above.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
daemoncycler
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

problem booting maybe is: from wikipedia 

Boot issues[edit]

Some operating systems, notably Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8, do not configure themselves to load the AHCI driver upon boot if the SATA-drive controller was not in AHCI mode at the time of installation. This can cause failure to boot, with an error message, if the SATA controller is later switched to AHCI mode. For this reason, Intel recommends changing the drive controller to AHCI or RAID before installing an operating system

I did a clean install, perhaps the reason no issues with boot.  Wonder what/if the repercussions will be. Make sure TRIM is enabled.

From CMD prompt:

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

0 Kudos