Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2009 08:00

XPS 435MT: Seagate HDD noisy / loud

My Seagate HDD 3750630 AS ATA drive is driving me bonkers. The drive almost constantly emits this intense low-grade humming noise when operating. Has anyone else encountered that and if so is there something that can be done about it? My system is about 4 months old and this drive noise renders the system almost unusable. BTW, boot time is such that I can go have a coffee while it boots up.

I have installed the firmware upgrade but that did not make a difference. Help!

3.7K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 08:00

The only thing you can do it to backup your personal data to disc, also give dell support an ring. With the drive being only 4 months old, the drive will be under warranty. If drives are too noisey, then there something not right.

July 2nd, 2009 09:00

Thanks Robin. I have been backing up daily anyway, in part also because I don't trust this drive.

The thought of calling tech support does not please me. The last time I chatted with them about the latest BIOS update not being downloadable, I was told verbatim "This is because your Internet cannot connect to the site". While the reality was that Dell had posted the link to the update but had not made it available until two or three days later... Apart from the statement about "my Internet"... :emotion-6:

With a level of expertise like that I might as well not call them. My worst fear: They'll inevitably want to take remote control of my system, mess up the registry, and then the next step will be that they'll suggest to reinstall Windows. Been there, done that. Oh my. Probably better to wait for the drive to die and then request a new one. Less painful and frustrating.

3.7K Posts

July 2nd, 2009 12:00

Hi Melusinchen, Worst they will do is to send you out an new drive for you to install. Least they will do is get someone to install it for you. But I would not wait for the drive to die.

July 4th, 2009 09:00

Hi Robin, I took the plunge and emailed tech support. After several emails back and forth they initiated a replacement drive to be shipped to me. Hopefully not a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 again... Thanks for your encouragement :emotion-5: Dell tech support is just something I normally try to avoid like the plague...

July 14th, 2009 16:00

Follow-up:

I received a new drive from Dell, again a Seagate Barracuda, this time a 7200.12. After going through all of the reinstalls etc. turns out the drive has the same problem. They agreed to now send a different brand hdd. But what I received today is just more of the same: A Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. This will go back tomorrow. I have asked to now get the different brand as promised. Hopefully this will happen...

No Events found!