Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2015 09:00

XPS8700 with 32G MSATA

I have on hand a 250G MSATA that is compatible with the computer.  However when I installed the 250G  MSATA SSD the computer would not boot to the OS.  How can I accomplish this?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 23rd, 2015 17:00

Hi Ac0iv,

Ok, so the PC will not boot. What exactly does it do? Any errors? Does it just get stuck? Where? Have you gone into the BIOS and configured the new mSATA drive?

7 Posts

July 24th, 2015 10:00

It does not boot but goes to s screen that allows me to press F2 to get into the bios.  I can see in the BIOS that the 250GB drive is there.  I think that the dell actually purts part of th boot up on the 32GB msata drive.   The original 32MSATA does not have a drive letter associated with it. I see about 4 section on that device but can not do anything with them.   I am not at home at this point but can copy what I see and either post the picture or describe the sections on the 32GB drive.

Thanks

Dennis

7 Posts

July 24th, 2015 16:00

Here is the screenshot from disk management

7 Posts

July 27th, 2015 12:00

I posted the answers on the thread.  basically the answer.  The system got stuck and allowed me to get into the bios.   I also posted other information.  I have ghost software so I can move contents of C:  to that Msata once I have everything working.

Thanks

Dennis

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 27th, 2015 17:00

Hi Dennis,

Sorry, been away from the forum.

Are you getting "no boot device, hit F1 to continue, F2 for system setup?".

Your mSATA drive should not have a drive letter, and the system should be able to boot without it but the SATA mode needs to be changed in the BIOS. But we need to figure out if the problem is with the mSATA drive or your boot drive. But I think one of them is bad.

7 Posts

July 27th, 2015 18:00

Yes that is exactly what I get hit F1 to continue,F2 for system setup.    Currently the computer is set as RAID in advanced options.  Earlier I changed it to ACHI system tried to reboot but failed.  Returned computer back to raid and computer boots.  I believe that the 32gb Msata is used as a cache for the C drive.  What I want to do is use imaging software and move C: to the 250GB Msata and be able to boot from that.  Is that possible?

7 Posts

July 27th, 2015 18:00

Actually do not think anything is bad when I put the 32gb Msata back in everything operates as it should.  In fact I am currently using the computer in question to answer this question.

No Events found!