Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2011 05:00

adding a second HDD to my Optiplex gx520

i want to add the western digital 1TB HDD as a second HDD to my Optiplex GX520 (minitower), however i have seen conflicing reports on whether i can add a second HDD. the manual seems to indicate that i can have 3 HDD but i have seen some posts mention that i can only have 1 HDD.

can someone please clarify.

in addition, if i can add a second HDD, which cables and/or power adaptors are recommended?

thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 27th, 2011 06:00

Hi again,

Here is the user manual  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>for your system, which has four serial ATA controllers supporting one device each and one parallel Ultra ATA/100 IDE supporting two devices per channel with one channel.

1 Message

August 9th, 2011 14:00

I have a similar question.  I have a Optiplex GX520 Desktop and we are trying to add a 2nd hard drive; however the controller ribbon is not what I'm familiar with and does not have a second connection at the midpoint.  How do I connect the second hard drive so it is in "slave" position, where the existing drive is my boot drive.

Thanks

6.4K Posts

August 9th, 2011 17:00

From what I can tell in the on-line docs (GX520 Desktop User's Guide)

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>  you have a small outline computer without a lot of extra space.  The documentation shows that you have one SATA port and one PATA/EIDE channel.  The single SATA port is for the hard disk drive used for the system drive in this machine.

The EIDE channel will support two drives, but if you didn't order it that way you may have an IDE ribbon cable having only two connectors, one at each end for the motherboard and for the DVD/CD ROM drive.  If that is your situation you will need to purchase a three connector, 80 conductor, ribbon IDE cable from a local shop or one of the on-line vendors.  The cable should have a blue connector for the motherboard, a gray connector in the middle for a slave drive, and a black connector at the end for the master drive.

No Events found!