Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2012 08:00

d-series connector to USB adaptor?

I have an external DVD writer for a d-series, but am trying to locate an adaptor that will convert this to a USB connector - any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 5th, 2012 04:00

The external drive should have a USB connection - just use a USB cable.

If it happens to be a firewire drive, most of the D-series have those as well - just use a (probably 4- to 6-pin) firewire cable.

3 Posts

March 5th, 2012 10:00

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a USB connector, it appears more like a combined USB & power connector (one on top of the other). From searching the web, all the descriptions I've seen use the phrase "connector unique to the dell D-Series".

If it helps, the model No. is PD01S

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 5th, 2012 12:00

Hi Maggief24,

Dell used to provide a serial adapter (not USB) for flexbay drives for the old C-series Lats. But they did not do so for the D-series, as far as I know.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 8th, 2012 06:00

Hi thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a USB connector, it appears more like a combined USB & power connector (one on top of the other). From searching the web, all the descriptions I've seen use the phrase "connector unique to the dell D-Series".

If it helps, the model No. is PD01S

The connector is Dell proprietary.

I have a D400 with that external DVD drive.

You won't be able to use that DVD drive with a non-Dell system.

http://digilander.libero.it/electrons/PD01S.html

2 Intern

• 

548 Posts

March 15th, 2012 03:00

Sounds like the easiest fix is to bin the proprietary DVD writer and buy an external writer with standard USB connector. Otherwise you could open up the writer enclosure and see if the connection to the DVD drive is a standard laptop mini pata connector (which it looks like it is judging by the pictures in the link within the above post). If so, you may be able to install the old drive in a new enclosure which contains an appropriate mini pata/usb adapter board, they do exist. Such enclosures aren't expensive but then again, enclosures with DVD writers are also quite cheap. The down side is a USB cable may not be enough to feed power to this new setup so you may also need a power adapter (laptop writes may be ok with 5V only but haven't had a need to research it so don't know).

Also, some laptop DVD writers were placed in small thin external enclosures and you may have an example of such. It could be possible it remove the drive from the enclosure and place it inside the laptop itself but i'm not familiar with the DVD enclosure nor your laptop.

Guess the moral of the story is to stay away from proprietary and vendor specific interfaces :emotion-1:

I like the eSATAp interface as it is very fast and also provides power (for 2.5" drives, not 3.5" drives which need the 12V which is lacking in this interface). Unfortunately not many system and enclosures handle eSATAp and likely this interface will be surpassed by USB3 and later Thunderbolt. This doesn't help you though.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2012 06:00

Many thanks - I think I've come to the same conclusion i.e. scrap this DVD/CD writer and buy one with a simple USB connector!

Thanks to everyone for your responses. :))

1 Message

March 18th, 2012 22:00

I was using USB for resume and now it is not connecting.When I connect USB to my laptop.The message is format and when click on format the message says windows unable to format drive E:  Tried all possible solutions.DIAGNOSTIC TESTING PASSED.DELL SUPPORT SCAN PASSED. windows 7

I request for an expert help.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2012 14:00

If you look at the connector carefully you will see the symbols for both USB and firewire.  The drive can do either.  Just use a USB extender cord to get the proper "A" end to plug into your computer.

1 Message

January 10th, 2013 09:00

I have a dell mini and a newpd01s, have had any luck finding an adapter, thanks shibainus(dog breed)

4 Posts

August 17th, 2014 07:00

I agree, it does look exactly like the dvd players that come mounted from the factory and could well just be set inside a thin cowling. Worth a shot anyway. Also, the suggestion of connecting with a firewire and the other connector(for get what he said), could be feasible as well. Question would be will it function as expected if used that way. Good catch!
No Events found!