Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2013 12:00

disk drive failure message PLEASE HELP

i have a computer (DELL inspiron 530s) that recently has been saying hard disk drive failure when i try to start it up. it gives me the option to press F1 to continue or press F2 for setup. when i press F1 to continue a black screen will eventually pop up and say

No boot device available press ENTER key to retry

SATA-0: Installed
SATA-1: Installed
SATA-4: None
SATA-5: None

im not very experienced at working on PCs. thought about taking my DELL latitude D610 laptop hard drive and hooking it to the desktop to find out if the hard drive has gone bad or if something else happened when i replaced the power supply. or maybe its something else i dont know really. like i said im very inexperienced when it comes to PCs. when i replaced that PSU that was the first time i had ever opened a PC up and worked on the inside. any help would be greatly appreciated
thank you
Aaron

PS. my wife was the first to experience this happen while i was at work. she said she didnt know what to do. but i guess it eventually did boot up completely after a few trys. i dont know if she kept hitting enter to retry or if she kept turning the PC on and off until it eventually worked. not sure what she did but she said that she didnt mess with any of the settings. i havent had the same luck. i have tried turning it off and on a few times and hitting enter over and over again but still get the same results

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 12th, 2013 12:00

Hi Aandadailey,

Your D610 hard drive will not fit. It's an IDE drive, while your 530s takes an SATA drive.

Here's how to diagnose the problem. Start your system up and tap the F12 key when you see the Dell logo. This will get you to the boot menu. Insert your Dell drivers and utilities disc in the CD drive, then pick the option on the boot menu to boot from the CD drive. The utilities will load, and what you want to do is run the Dell diagnostics on your hard drive.

If you need a new hard drive, they're easy to find and not difficult to replace. The hardest part is reinstalling Windows, for which I've got a link to a Windows reinstallation guide below.

November 12th, 2013 13:00

i dont have any of the disks that came with the pc. Is there a way to burn them for free or at low cost (short on money at the moment)? i also have a toshiba satellite a215 and a HP 530..... would the hard drive out of one of those work? i almost forgot to mention i also have an external hard drive that i use for storing pics and videos.... is there any way i could test with one of these

No Events found!