Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2009 12:00

disk drive not recognizing any thing

OK Ive had my computer almost 3 years  i suppose but lately i uninstalled a few to many programs as my comp was running slow. trouble is i think Ive uninstalled a few programs for using the disk drive.

i can put a disk ( weather music ,mp3 or just a new software cd ) and the computer doesn't do any thing. i cannot even hear the disk spinning..

Ive goggled my disk drive and found some places that offer a free scan and say they can repair it but they always ask for money after the scan..

PS, not sure if this helps but 'code 39' came up once when i did a check on it..

so does any one know where i can get the info or program i need to download and for free ?

its a ( tsstcorp cdrw dvd ts-h492c )

133 Posts

Makes perfect sense, when installing and uninstalling writing software this may happen,

it may be as easy as deleting the upper and lower filter as per this article

Hope this helps

5 Posts

not quite sure what the link you sent is asking me to do as its quite advanced. im not very savi with computers though as i say. i was hoping i could get an online program just to download..

ill get a mate to look at your link later and may be he can make more sence of it..

cheers

133 Posts

jez,

if your mate is somewhat technical he'll have it done in 2 minutes

Good luck

133 Posts

click Start

Click Run

Type regedit in the Run Box

once regedit opens it looks like folders to explore

click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

click SYSTEM

click CurrentControlSet

click Control

click Class

click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Look for UpperFilter and LowerFilter on the righthand side, rightclick each and select delete

Restart, and all will likely be fine

1 Message

Maybe this will help. I refurbished a dell 5160, and thought I had to replace the CD drive, because it would not recognize certain data. It would attempt to install files from CD's but stopped. I right clicked on the CD drive, and to the CD applet, into performance, clicked on acceleration and moved the sliders back one notch, and the CD player have been playing every time I went to it.

5 Posts

thanks for replying,

i dont know coputer speak much and arent very computer savi too.

so whats ' regedit ' and how do i get to it on windows xp ?

5 Posts

well put it this way hes much much better then me,,lol

he lives miles from me and we tried a remote access but for some reason it wouldnt conect.

mainly the reason i cannt do it is the 1st file ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ) doesnt apear there for some reason.

hel probly sort it if remote access works when he next comes online.

cheers for your help im sure hel find it useful

133 Posts

January 14th, 2009 15:00

Glad to help :)

5 Posts

hi.

with your link we sorted it in end using remote access. cheers

133 Posts

jez

If you go back to my site, you'll see that i have remote access set up. If you'd like I can connect to you and do it, just go to contact us and send me an email. I will reply with an access code you can use when you click on Remote Support in the left menu.

If you trust me and the remote access software (same as Dell uses) drop me a note and i will fix it up

No Events found!