Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2014 05:00

fail psa v4220 error 2000:01 42 hard drive0 - s/n short self test unsuccessful

Hi Guys,

Recently I found me Dell E series E2213 sometimes get very slow, even if I close all the apps which only %1 CPU and 30% RAM been used. It takes a few minutes to open up a web page, even just a right click it can take minutes to respond. 

But sometimes when it act normally, it's so fast, responding instantly. 

I did a diagnosis this morning and it shows:

"Fail psa v4220 error 2000:01 42 hard drive 0 - s/n

Short self test unsuccessful."

Does anyone know what does this mean? and does this has anything to do with the slow responding?

Best Regards,

Ryan

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 15th, 2014 06:00

Hi ryan_yang,

2000-0142 error indicates the hard drive is faulty you may consider replacing the hard drive on the system. Please backup the data from the system if it’s booting up.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 16th, 2014 15:00

Hi Ryan,   similar to this poster, I have a hard drive 'issue' with same error code. Here's what I posted elsewhere in the forum today [first time poster].

============    My laptop was fine yesterday. Today, it won't boot to the Win 7 screen and cannot get it to work at all. The farthest I get is to 'part' of the Windows 7 main screen! Meaning the blue background, with the green grass sprig and the small white bird near it, both on the right of the screen. I also get a larger white arrow cursor that I can move, but there's nothing to point at.  At power on is the

Windows Error Recovery:   - "Launch start up repair (recommended)"  or  "Start Windows normally"    Choosing the first it shows- "Windows is loading files"     (it looks like a DOS type screen).  I did the F8 Advanced Boot options diags and all ran fine except the drive test which showed:

Error = 2000 0142,  Validation 60891,   H/D 0  s/n 5verss6e, Self test fail status 7

My Q: is.... Is it 'necessarily' a bad drive since I do get a simplistic Windows screen, or could it be something I can fix?    Might a restore [don't have a disc] help?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Regards, Golfguyyyy===============

golfguyyyy

Error Code 2000-0142, indicates a failing/failed hard drive and you need to replace it.

There are no fixes for a failed hard drive, the only 'fix', is to replace it and reload the operating system, if you have a Dell warranty in effect, contact Dell's Technical Support for the replacement HD.

Bev

4 Posts

May 16th, 2014 15:00

Hi Ryan,   similar to this poster, I have a hard drive 'issue' with same error code. Here's what I posted elsewhere in the forum today [first time poster].

============    My laptop was fine yesterday. Today, it won't boot to the Win 7 screen and cannot get it to work at all. The farthest I get is to 'part' of the Windows 7 main screen! Meaning the blue background, with the green grass sprig and the small white bird near it, both on the right of the screen. I also get a larger white arrow cursor that I can move, but there's nothing to point at.  At power on is the

Windows Error Recovery:   - "Launch start up repair (recommended)"  or  "Start Windows normally"    Choosing the first it shows- "Windows is loading files"     (it looks like a DOS type screen).  I did the F8 Advanced Boot options diags and all ran fine except the drive test which showed:

Error = 2000 0142,  Validation 60891,   H/D 0  s/n 5verss6e, Self test fail status 7

My Q: is.... Is it 'necessarily' a bad drive since I do get a simplistic Windows screen, or could it be something I can fix?    Might a restore [don't have a disc] help?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Regards, Golfguyyyy===============

3 Posts

May 16th, 2014 20:00

Thank you for all your replies guys. Guess it's time to get it a new hard drive now. 

3 Posts

May 16th, 2014 20:00

Hello Bev

For replacing the hard drive, do i need to get a specific type of hard drive or any hard drive will fit?

Cheers,

Ryan

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 17th, 2014 15:00

Hello Bev

For replacing the hard drive, do i need to get a specific type of hard drive or any hard drive will fit?

Cheers,

Ryan

ryan_yang

Please post your computer model.

The Dell E series E2213 listed in your post, seems to be a monitor, not a computer model.

Bev.

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 11:00

Hi all ----- GOOD NEWS! My hard drive turns out NOT bad.... My issue was: "No boot to Win 7 - I did the F8 Advanced Boot options diags and all ran fine except the drive test which showed: Error = 2000 0142, Validation 60891, H/D 0 s/n 5verss6e, Self test fail status 7. My Q: was: "Is it 'necessarily' a bad drive since I do get a simplistic Windows screen, or could it be something I can fix? Might a restore [don't have a disc] help?" Spoke with Dell support and got the original CDs - did the whole reload of Win 7 64 bit and drivers. Runs better than ever! Thanks for everyone's comments :>) regards.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 3rd, 2014 12:00

Hi all ----- GOOD NEWS! My hard drive turns out NOT bad.... My issue was: "No boot to Win 7 - I did the F8 Advanced Boot options diags and all ran fine except the drive test which showed: Error = 2000 0142, Validation 60891, H/D 0 s/n 5verss6e, Self test fail status 7. My Q: was: "Is it 'necessarily' a bad drive since I do get a simplistic Windows screen, or could it be something I can fix? Might a restore [don't have a disc] help?" Spoke with Dell support and got the original CDs - did the whole reload of Win 7 64 bit and drivers. Runs better than ever! Thanks for everyone's comments :>) regards.

golfguyyyy

Make certain to keep your data backups to other media, current.

Bev.

1 Message

May 16th, 2016 14:00

How is data from the system backed up?

1 Message

September 16th, 2018 03:00

How can I recover my pics and docs?

March 19th, 2023 11:00

May I know what to do if it doesn’t boot up?

No Events found!