Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2011 08:00

installing 4 drivers

I see that my Dell Inspiron One 2305 needs to update 4 drivers - chipset, audio, ethernet controller and video - QUESTION: do I need to disable my antivirus while doing these driver updates? There is so much confusing info about this disabling business. Microsoft says no no no and other sites say yes yes yes. I would like some input from this group and then will make my decision. It's a lot of updating and they all say "urgent" on the Dell driver page for this system so I guess I better do them. I've also been having black monitor freezes which may be related to the video driver-- any thoughts on any of this. Thanks very much.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 22nd, 2011 09:00

Check the drivers you already have before updating anything. The "urgent" drivers could already be installed. Just because you use your tag to see what drivers are available, it doesn't mean you need any updates. The list of drivers that is shown is complete for reinstallation of the OS on all versions of your model. Filter the list by dates to find only the most recent ones then check to see if you have the hardware. You don't need to disable anything to install drivers nowadays. The 'yes' info is for older versions of Windows. Just make sure you actually need them. The only driver you might actually need is the video. If you are not having problems with the others, don't update. Each driver will have a list of fixes on the download page. Make sure you need that fix.

49 Posts

July 22nd, 2011 09:00

great info - thanks so much. One last question tho - you say -- "Each driver will have a list of fixes on the download page. Make sure you need that fix". Not sure what "list of fixes" means - also if I go to device manager that should give me the dates of the currently installed drivers, correct?

4 Posts

July 25th, 2011 08:00

Dear Mary G, very happy i am to speak with you.  Please, i have this big pro

blem on my hand. Sometimes now my Inspiron 9300 was repartitioned, hence the need for reinstallation of the operating system which was done but with problem which has not been rectified since then. I first noticed that i can no longer watches my DVD and plays some games that required 3D. On checking, it was discovered that the video card in not present and was only using the compatible one. All efforts to install another has failed and i am still on it till now. I recently upgraded the OP to Window7, believing that it could solve the problem, but alas, no luck.

Please, help me and resolves this problem.

Seth

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 25th, 2011 11:00

Perhaps the reinstallation of windows was not done in the proper order. Follow the directions for Manual Install of Windows  HERE

No Events found!