Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2013 13:00

new HDD Seagate Barracuda not recognised in BIOS

Hi,

The BIOS from Inspiron 530 desktop don't recognise my new HDD. it is a Seagate Barracuda 500GB (ST3500413AS). I try to reinstall Vista, but the installation only finds a disk with 3.9 GB. Wrong type disk in BIOS found, i think.

Tried several things, but no results: checked BIOS, but with auto-select disk only find a 4GB disk (wrong type), update BIOS (now 1.0.18), tried several drivers with start up etc.

Think i need a good driver, but on Seagate website they say there is no firmware for this HDD.

can someone help me?

thx, David

2 Posts

August 20th, 2013 07:00

Thx all for support.

It was not a problem with the SATA 3 or something like that, but the HDD was defect. There was no other option. Got back with my HDD (and all information) to the shop and finally got a new one. Hopefully the new one is working :)

thx and greetings

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 15th, 2013 17:00

Hi David,

This is an SATA 3.0 drive and your controller is SATA 1.0. Most drives have a jumper that allows backward compatibility. See if your manual describes how to do that.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 15th, 2013 18:00

Hi David,

There should not be a problem connecting a normal HDD to the 530 desktop. Generally, all the SATA Drives are backwards compatible. Try plugging in a good known hard drive to the computer and see if it works, if a good known HDD works, then probably your Seagate HDD is faulty and you can get it replaced. No need to install any driver or firmware for a brand new HDD.

Hope this helps.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 20th, 2013 11:00

Hi David,

Its good to know that your computer is now working fine and the problem was with the Hard Drive.

If you have any other queries, please feel free to reach out to us here and we will be glad to assist you.

Take Care.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 20th, 2013 17:00

Good to hear!

1 Message

August 29th, 2015 13:00

Hi ,

I've had the same issue with a 3tb model .but i've managed to repair without opening the drive.

I did however have to remove the screws that hold the pcb logic board to the bottom of drive ,there are 2 sets of contacts that connect with their matching contacts on the pcb ,these are copper ( see image of similar contact types here > ( http://www.leighsmith.com/node/2282 )

they were visibly discoloured and dull ,i cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner and an ear bud ,left to dry for 1hr while i ate lunch then refitted the pcb .

Bingo working !!! I know your post is old now but others need to know this fix worked for me .

************** My warranty was void so i took a chance ,you do so at your own risk ! *****************

No Events found!