Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2005 23:00

"Loading PBR for descriptor 2... Done." Problem/Solution:

Hay all!!

I'll try not to screw up like I did last time.

First off, BACK UP YOUR DATA, No matter what!!!

I have been pretty stoked about having my new system for quite a while.
Everything was fine until I turned it off, and later turned it back on.

I get a message that says Loading PBR for descriptor 2... Done, and then nothing happens.  No boot up, no Windows XP Pro, no nothing...  Just that one message, and then it hangs.

Next call: Tech Support, and they answered their phone immediately...

She tells me to hit "F-8".  I did that with absolutely no results...
I tried the F-8, Safe Mode, and F-12, and holding down the CTRL key while turning it on, which amounted to absolutely nothing.

Finally after trying everything else for over 45 minutes, we resolved to only one solution... I was going to have to completely blow everything I had installed away, and start over again from scratch...
This meant running the utility that restores the computer to it's original factory condition and losing everything.  The next step in doing this is pressing "CTRL+F-11" as soon as you turn on the machine.

I typed enter, and yes and confirm and everything else that I needed to in order to get the entire system returned to it's original factory default settings.

Not to worry though as I had EVERYTHING backed up onto my external hard drive prior to the day before all of this happened.:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

I then asked the Tech if this was a problem that she has heard of, and she put me on hold to find out.  When she came back, she said "yes, it happens".  I hope this helps anyone having the same difficulty.

Erik.

March 30th, 2005 16:00

Erik,

Thank you for visiting the Dell Community Forum.

I am glad to hear that you found your solution, thank you for posting information on your solution; it is always nice for users to post their answers as it may be of help to other users with similar issues.
No Events found!