hvdeut
2 Bronze

using internal as external drive

I have a Precision T5600, with a dualboot (It came with windows 7, I installed ubuntu 12.04, I am only using Ubuntu).

I am trying to use an internal drive harddrive WD (external) using a USB3.0 to SATA adaptor.

However, my USB3.0 is not recognized and my new harddrive does not communicate with the adaptor.
(I tested both things seperately with an internal harddisk with data on it, and another adaptor).

Do I need to install things (linux) to tell my computer to use USB3.0?
How can I tell my computer to communicate with the internal harddisk?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CK_WD
2 Bronze

RE: using internal as external drive

Hello hvdeut!

It's sounds to me more like the adaptor itself isn't working properly. So what happened after you tried both things separately? Did anything connect as it should? Is the drive detected in BIOS at all? What is the boot order? Are you certain your USB 3.0 ports are also working properly? Does other external hardware work via the USB 3.0? Have you updated your USB drivers? You could also try using a hard drive enclosure to create your internal HDD into a portable external hard drive and connect it to your PC via simple USB cable.

Hopefully, the answers to some of these questions would help you fix your issue!

Best of luck!

CK_WD

0 Kudos
hvdeut
2 Bronze

Dear CK_WD,

after trying all possible combination, I found out that indeed my adaptor is not working; the USB2 port that should provide power, cannot do this for a harddisk > 2TB .

So I borrowed a docking station eSATA/USB, with another problem; ubuntu does not recognize it. At the moment I'm using a windows machine of a collegue to copy large amounts of data, which is now taking days (so I cannot excess it right now). So any ideas on how to recognize a docking station would help (for future purposes).

thanks for all the help!

0 Kudos
CK_WD
2 Bronze

Hello again hvdeut!

Hard drives are made with greater capacity nowadays, so USB 3.0 connection is preferred than the 2.0 one, so they can be properly charged.

For Ubuntu to recognize the drive, it really depends on which type/model docking station you are using – does it support the WD drive and it's capacity, can it be connected to Ubuntu; which file system the drive has – for Ubuntu NTFS (if through Windows), ext3, ext4, how big it is (you already mentioned 2TB) etc.

Also: is the cable working properly, the USB ports also (use 3.0), do you have the latest drivers and firmware.

Is the hard drive itself working properly? Can you plug it in internally to test it?

All these are first steps if a drive is not connecting as it should or is expected to. If none of this helps, we can troubleshoot further.

I hope I've helped!

Best of luck!

CK_WD

0 Kudos