Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

August 22nd, 2005 20:00

windows media very slow

When I put cd's onto my computer or burn a cd it is VERY SLOW.  I wouldn't think it was because of a virus since I haven't had the internet for sometime now, (in the military, deployed, computer not in use at all for 2 years).  Any suggestions?  On occasion for some unknown reason it will be normal and burn or rip a cd instantly, for the most part tho-it takes hours to download a cd.  I have changed the format of copy (mp3 or windows media) I have changed the copy quality, nothing works----It has a mind of it's own!  Also, I have a d & e drive, but am not sure if I can put dvd's on computer...help?  I have tried to put a dvd movie in and it won't do anything.  Does this mean I CANNOT watch or copy my dvd's?  Oh, it's a Dell Desktop 2350.

Message Edited by truebluepride on 08-22-2005 04:47 PM

Message Edited by truebluepride on 08-22-2005 04:57 PM

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2005 22:00

truebluepride:

First, thank you for your service to our country. We owe you a huge debt of gratitude.

Ok, on your system, my father has this same computer. I'm going to ask you to go into Device Manager (Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device manager), expand CD/DVD drives and write down the model numbers of the two drives you have. While you're there, expand IDE controllers, then right-click Secondary IDE Channel, Properties, in the Advanced tab, check the transfer mode for both drives. It should say Ultra DMA mode 2, not PIO Mode.

Report back with your drive models and the transfer mode by 0800!!

August 23rd, 2005 19:00

Thank You, I will give this a try and let you know if it works...
No Events found!