Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2020 11:00

Dell SupportAssist for Business PCs - Script error when installing MSI

I am deploying Dell SupportAssist for Business PCs through Group Policy, by using the MSI and MST files that Dell TechDirect gave me. When I run the MSI installer, it starts by showing this progress bar:

swebervna_0-1597343224906.png

Then right after that, it gives this error:

swebervna_1-1597343246967.png

I cannot figure out what this means or why it's doing that. I checked and it's not Software Restrictions. I've done this on fresh Windows 10 installs with no luck.

I've tried to contact Dell but I'm not getting an answer back. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?

Extra Info:

• Running MSI file with this command: "msiexec /i "SupportAssistx64.msi" TRANSFORMS=SupportAssistDeploymentPackage.mst /qb"
  • Windows 10 x64 Update 2004

Thank you!

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2020 06:00

UPDATE:  SupportAssist starting installing with no problem on computers with fresh copies of Windows 10 (versus the preinstalled Windows 10 installations on our Dell computers we've purchased).

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

August 20th, 2020 03:00

Hi @swebervna 

Did you try running msiexec /i "SupportAssistx64.msi" TRANSFORMS=SupportAssistDeploymentPackage.mst /qn ?

Did you check registry key which is mention under error?

Let me know if you have contact Dell Tech Support.

4 Posts

August 20th, 2020 06:00

@NikhilKiroula 

Yes, no luck with either. The key isn't there, and even if it was I, unfortunately, do not understand this error so I wouldn't be able to fix it.

5 Practitioner

• 

206 Posts

August 20th, 2020 06:00

@swebervna  this issue need to debug and remote session required, i would suggest you to contact Dell Technical Support team so they can raise ticket to the right team and remote session can be setup with you.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2020 15:00

Did you get an answer to this?  I have the same issue.

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2020 06:00

I recall a support technician remoting into my PC and executing the MSI a certain way to make it work, but it didn't work again after that. Eventually, it all started working and I think it's because I starting installing fresh copies of Windows 10 on our computers. When we got our Dell laptops and desktops, Dell pre-installed Windows 10 and I've found problems with that, so I reinstalled Windows on all of them and SupportAssist started working on the new installations.

For your troubleshooting, I'd suggest taking a look at your Group Policy and making sure there are no policies that are conflicting with the install (perhaps SoftwareRestrictions?). Also, in relation to my problem, if your computers came preinstalled with Windows 10, try a fresh copy.

Let me know if you still need help and I'll try my best.

No Events found!