Cannot install SupportAssist

Hello!

I cannot install SupportAssist on my Dell Laptop. The detail of my laptop is:

Dell Vostro-5471

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004

OS Build 19041.388

It always pops up notification like this:

Andhika_0-1596340046494.png

I already reboot my PC but the same things happens again.

Please kindly share/help my issue.

Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

238 Posts

August 2nd, 2020 05:00

@Andhika 

Have you tried disabling your security software (McAfee, Malwarebytes, whatever).  Those security programs are known to interfere with SupportAssist installing.  Also, if you have Fast Startup enabled, you might consider disabling it.  It also can cause all kinds of weird and "wonderful" issues.

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 22:00

Dear @garioch7 

Thanks for the info. I already tried disabling my virus protection but the problem still persist. Any other suggestion? Thanks in advance

5 Practitioner

• 

238 Posts

August 4th, 2020 04:00

@Andhika :

If disabling Fast Startup did not help, then, if it were my computer, I would uninstall of the SupportAssist programs and plugins, using Revo Uninstaller Pro.  It will scan for and remove remnants of programs.  I have the paid version for both of my computers.  There is a free 30-day trial, so you don't have to purchase it.

Once you have uninstalled all of the SupportAssist program components, the reboot, and download the latest version of SupportAssist.  Disable your security software during the installation process, so that it does not interfere with the installs.

Reboot after installing all of the new SupportAssist program components, and then try it again, with your security software disabled.

If that doesn't help, I am out of ideas.  Good luck.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

September 20th, 2020 00:00

I have the same problem when installing SupportAssist  i.e. "Installation failed". See above post.

Dell Inspiron 3668

Ran "REVO uninstall". It did not fix the problem.

The version of SupportAssist installed on my Desktop is 3.6.6.0. The version on my Dell Laptop is 3.6.0.97. It is the latest version for my Laptop.

How do I delete SupportAssist version 3.6.6.0 from my desktop and install version 3.6.0.97?

Why do I have version 3.6.6.0 installed?

Using "REVO uninstall" did not delete it.

5 Practitioner

• 

238 Posts

September 20th, 2020 06:00

@Eastbourne 

Normally you should open your own topic; not tag on to topic that is over a month old.  Did you try all of the steps that I suggested: disable Fast Startup and disable your anti-virus application.

You can also try disabling the SupportAssist services before trying to uninstall with Revo Uninstaller Pro.  I am not sure why Revo was unable to uninstall the programs, both SupportAssist and SupportAssist Remediation.

Open an administrative command prompt, type in "services.msc", and locate the following two services:

Dell SupportAssist
Dell SupportAssist Remediation

Right click on both services individually, and and select "Properties".  Click on "Stop" service.  Then in the "Startup Type", click on the down arrow to the right, and select "Disable".  Reboot your computer and try to uninstall both programs again using Revo Uninstaller Pro.

Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

2 Posts

September 20th, 2020 11:00

've been experiencing a similar issue after on Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 after my machine downloaded KB890830 Microsoft's V5.38 update Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool on 9/19/2020. I discovered this because, my machine started to experience Bugcheck 18 crashes shortly after update. This is usually a driver issue. But, I haven't updates any drivers in quite a while. So, I figured that some hardware was starting to fail and was behaving bad with its driver. I started SupportAssist for PCs v 3.6 to investigate by running it's a diagnostics SupportAssist wouldn't start. Now I started to worry that I had a disk problem and SupportAssist binaries were corrupted, so I uninstalled it and tried a re-installing, that failed. However, after I removed SupportAssist, the Bugcheck crashes went away. Some investigation through my Event viewer showed that the SupportAssist's datavault component was always logging errors to the system events shortly before the bugcheck crashs occured.

Not sure who's at fault here, I had no problem using or updating SuportAssist before KB890830 updated on 9/18.
However, from what I've been able to glean from some googling is that MSRT is just a pure binary and isn't suppose install any components that get pick up by the Windows kernel. You also can't really remove it either, so confirming that it's the root cause of SupportAssist's failure to install can't really be confirmed either.

If somebody can point me to how you'd open a bug report, I can supply Dell Kernel dumps and my system event logs for further investigation.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 21st, 2020 10:00

You could try these steps.

via the control panel uninstall SupportAssist, this should remove both versions of SupportAssist in apps and features.  

Under Services, verify the following five services are removed.

Dell Data Vault Collector, Dell Data Vault Processor, Dell Data Vault Service API, Dell Hardware Support and Dell SupportAssist

Delete folder "C:\ProgramData\PCDr\"
Delete folder "C:\ProgramData\SupportAssist"
Delete C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDataVault

download below exe, right click and run as admin.

https://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/SupportAssistInstaller.exe

2 Posts

September 21st, 2020 19:00

I looked for the directories and services as you suggested.  I did find a left-over service entry and some directory  C:\Program Files\Dell\DellDataVault.  I removed both.  I also ran across what looked like a feature entry in Programs, and remove it.  I then downloaded and ran the link you gave.  The SupportAssist actually installed this time.  However, it also immediately started bugchecking again. the code it crashed with, code 35, was different then previous crashes. 

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS (35)

which were  code 18, but, it's still a bugcheck.      Once I remove SupportAssist from program add and remove,  the bug checks went away.   This wasn't happen before the MSRT updated on machine on Friday. 

November 18th, 2020 10:00

I have tried multiple times  and have evm  contacted dell  and got no help on the issue. I am paying for it and can not get it.  be tn=aht for a week now. says  check internet connection    well ell every thing else works  i can get into every thing  have uninstalled and reinstalled my  antivirus  and still nothing

November 19th, 2020 14:00

this what i i have installed for net framework4.804

also tried we store and failed there too said i need net framework 4.51

I am doing it from the dell web site

3 Posts

February 12th, 2021 17:00

I had the same (more than one year later now) with my Precision 7730 / Windows10
SupportAssist asked to "update itself", then failed.
I started digging around which led me to uninstalling SupportAssist, Precision Optimizer and Dell Command.
Deleted %ProgramData%\DellDataVault folder
Then I was installing all latest versions starting from Dell Command -> SupportAssist
That failed
Next step I tried Dell Command -> Precision Optimizer and during installation of Optimizer I got a Windows security warning, that "Windows can not determine signature of the driver you are installing - do you wish to continue?"
Optimizer installed successfully and after that I was able to install latest SupportAssist.
So my not-so-educated guess would be that since both SupportAssist and Optimizer are just "wrappers" for bunch of other software (like PC Doctor) and drivers, one of the drivers SupportAssist installs (I'd bet for some part of PC Doctor) has expired signature or something like that, but SuppotAssist installer supresses this Windows security warning, while Precision Optimizer installer is more "advanced" and allows user to make actual choices.
I realize this solution might not be "universal", just describing what worked for me

April 2nd, 2021 09:00

I think @SeBaPL hit the nail on the head. During the process of uninstalling and reinstalling Precision Optimizer, an unsigned driver was installed. Afterward, SupportAssist installed just fine.

1 Message

April 14th, 2021 11:00

Wow! Thx! Installing and running Revo Uninstaller (free version) did the trick. 

No Events found!