Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2018 14:00

Dell support assist agent and sleep

Since I got the new support assist a few months ago my computer does not go to sleep as it is programmed to.   I am running latest W10 prof. version but this started right after the new support assist agent was installed on an earlier version of W10 prof  When I do a powercfg check I see that it is this agent that is causing the computer to stay awake.  I can override it but it means that each time I run the support assist agent I am back to square1.  Hopefully this can be corrected soon.  The agent is a good tool but it does not have to override the computer's power options! 

The version of support assist before this did not do this, I could use it to check the computer but it did not make null the power options I set..  The new version is a bit too intrusive.  Checking the system is one thing, overriding is a bit too much since what is being overridden is something that is needed--sleep when idle!  And by the way the power settings for sleep are those recommended by Dell.

If anyone reading this

1.knows why this is happening and /or

2.knows of a fix short of uninstalling support assist agent I would be interested.  Thank you.

3 Apprentice

• 

43 Posts

November 6th, 2018 10:00

@Trinisle  -  Please install / update SupportAssist Client to its latest version 3.0.2.48. It has the fix for sleep issue which you had reported. 

Thanks,

Dell - Kumar

#iwork4dell

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 10th, 2018 15:00

Uninstalling is the best option since you can always reinstall if you need to, but here is another option that might work. Open Task Manager, Startup tab and disable Support Assist from loading at every boot. It can be run manually and doesn't need to be starting every time. It really is an unnecessary crutch for experienced users IMO.

You might need to select More details in Task Manager to see the Startup tab. 

3 Apprentice

• 

43 Posts

September 24th, 2018 15:00

@Trinisle,  Thank you for the feedback.  We are aware of this issue and already have a solution planned with an upcoming SupportAssist release. We will provide an update on this forum once it is released. 

Thank you, 

Dell - Kumar

#iwork4dell

48 Posts

October 4th, 2018 22:00

Thanks for letting me know! I have another question about support assist but will start another trend since it is also about dell data protection.

48 Posts

November 7th, 2018 09:00

Thank you.  I checked and this version is already installed, must have been done automatically at some time recently, maybe when I updated a driver off the dell support site.  So hopefully all will be OK now.  Thanks again for following up.  Much appreciated.

November 7th, 2018 10:00

I just came across this thread while searching for a solution to my problem. I have several events scheduled through the day using Task Scheduler and which have authority to wake the computer. At night, my system backs up the hard drive and then enters hibernation. All of this works fine. However, sometime during the night, something wakes the computer up and it sits there awake the rest of the night. Wake on Magic Packet and PatternMatch are disabled in the ethernet adapter and the wireless adapter is disabled. No tasks are scheduled during that time. I am running the latest version of SupportAssist, though I haven't tried removing that from memory before testing. I will do that next, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

No Events found!