Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

27 Posts

June 23rd, 2022 12:00

SupportAssist - installation failed message.

When opening SA today I was greeted with an update prompt. I went along with the update, however, it went no further than "downloading and starting up files", at which point the percentage bar went up to 100%, then gave me the error: "Installation failed - We were unable to complete the installation. Please reboot your PC and try again".

I rebooted my PC and tried to update the application twice to no avail. I then tried to uninstall and reinstall SA, and the installer had the same issue - it gave me the same error message as the one that the application gave. 

Screenshot 2022-06-23 115828.pngI tried following this solution posted by @XPS_Man, which included deleting some dell files and registry keys, to no use, unfortunately.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue or perhaps a possible solution?

All help is appreciated. 

5 Practitioner

• 

146 Posts

June 28th, 2022 08:00

Dell TechHub replaces Dell Hardware Scan service and is needed to run the Hardware Scan panel

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

June 28th, 2022 09:00

Unfortunately this is not the case for several with this problem. I have the correct DotNet installed and still get the error on both my systems. So will wait for a fix from dell. They are supposed to work on a solution.

27 Posts

June 28th, 2022 14:00

You're right about that one, that there seem to be two issues with SA that give off the same result. One has to do with NET runtime, while the other has to do with another error that I and many of the people who've encountered this issue don't know about. On the bright side, Dell is working on fixing this. 

June 28th, 2022 15:00

I tried installing the latest version of .Net Framework directly from Microsoft. During installation, I got a message that Version 4.8 or later was already installed on my PC. Therefore, .Net installation did not continue.

June 29th, 2022 18:00

I was unable to update or install SupportAssist since June 26, 2022. Dell Support contacted me via private message and suggested the following solution, which worked for me:

After I did that, I was able to successfully install SupportAssist manually using SupportAssistInstaller.exe, which I had previously downloaded.

June 29th, 2022 18:00

.NET Framework was not what I needed. With the help of Dell Support (via private message) I applied the following solution, which worked for me:

After I did that, I was able to successfully install SupportAssist manually using SupportAssistInstaller.exe, which I had previously downloaded.

1 Message

June 29th, 2022 20:00

Seems to work for me.

July 4th, 2022 06:00

Updating the .net runtime then running the installer again worked for me also.  

July 10th, 2022 13:00

I performed all the steps outlined in Dell Support Video & install dot net runtime again via the same link.  Unfortunately, I was not able to install it.  I hope Dell posts the correct solution/fix. I am not holding my breath though.

July 10th, 2022 18:00

In my earlier reply, I meant that I was able to install dot net but SA install failed.

Chirs, thanks for the good and clear steps. I followed and still, the SA fails to install.  My warranty for the laptop support has expired. Any help will be appreciated.

The Get-Help widget is of no use to me as my warranty for the Inspiron laptop expired.  The Dell support does not want to entertain any of my questions. I re-installed the dot net via the link provided in the forum and followed all the steps outlined in the Dell Support youtube video. The SA still fails to install. Thanks.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2022 06:00

Install this first, then try reinstall the Support Assist
Download .NET 5.0 Desktop Runtime (v5.0.17) - Windows x64 Installer (microsoft.com)

1 Rookie

• 

384 Posts

July 15th, 2022 14:00

I would be careful installing a end of support .net runtime as a possible solution. I already had the 5. Net runtime on mine, but it still fails to update. As for now, with all the issues with the newest version of SupportAssist, I would wait for a potential fix from dell. They are well aware of the problem.

9 Posts

July 16th, 2022 00:00

I would advice to wait for an update.
DotNet 5.0.0 as mentioned on the page is no longer supported, meaning there are probably already flaws and existing vulnerabilities in it

For example : Microsoft Security Advisory CVE-2020-8927 | .NET Remote Code Execution Vulnerability · Issue #66346 · dotnet/runtime (github.com)
Which is bound to happen more, though after the end of support in may, I doubt they'd release an update

No Events found!