Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

July 7th, 2018 05:00

SupportAssist not Installing, tried everything

I have an Alienware 15 and I have been trying to unsuccessfully install SupportAssist for the last few hours. I have tried using aulauncher.exe, the SupportAssistInstaller.exe, and SupportAssistLauncher.exe. 

The SALauncher and SAInstaller give me the same error message: image.png
Whereas if I run the aulauncher.exe I get an install complete after it downloads one file called CSAW.exe.

image.png

image.png
I cannot find this file anywhere and if I search for SupportAssist it doesn't show up on my control panel. However, if I search for SupportAssist in my windows search "Dell SupportAssist" shows up with a link to this file: image.png
Which, when I click yes, does nothing.

Out of desperation, I tried to download the .msi for SupportAssist from http://downloads.dell.com/serviceability/catalog/ and trying any of the versions always gives me the same error: 

image.png

I do not have any SupportAssist, PCdir or PC Doctor folders under Program Files or Program Files/Dell as I deleted all of them trying to follow another solution somewhere else on this website.

As to some quick background as to why this is so important: I uninstalled SupportAssist a while ago to make space on my C drive and get rid of the somewhat annoying prompts. Since then I updated a lot of my drivers to newer versions than what is recommended by Dell via 3rd party software and now want to revert a lot of my drivers as my computer has been experiencing some issues.

Sorry for the long post. Trying to give as much information as possible. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

1 Message

October 24th, 2018 06:00

I am also experiencing the same problem. Please advice when this will be resolved.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

October 25th, 2018 11:00

Personally I would uninstall Dell Support Assist and install Dell Update instead:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=HGDR1&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-13-9365-2-in-1-laptop 

Dell Update Version 3.0.0 works on the most part fine on Windows 10 Version 1809 however in order for it to be work you must launch it as an administrator:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-update-for-windows-10/

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

November 19th, 2018 08:00

Also attempting install SupportAssist on Windows 10, removed (presumably) by a Windows update. SupportAssistInstaller (aka SupportAssistLauncher) opens a window, downloads some files but then seems stuck. The installation window is not exactly frozen, I can see pulsating dots but nothing happens. Aulauncher opens a window, which then promptly closes. Each application installs some files (mainly .tmp) and registry entries but does not complete.

Also tried Dell SupportAssist UWP app from Windows store which seemingly installs but on launching opens an identical window as SupportAssistantInstaller with the same effect.

I have cleaned up SupportAssist and PC-Dr related files and folders and removed the relevant registry entries. Also deleted SupportAssistAgent service (pointing to a non-existing files). Tried to install ver 2.2.3.2  from the msi file but the operation failed. The installation log mentions the 0x80070002 error and the error status: 1603. The drive is local, not encrypted and SYSTEM has full rights.

Event Viewer reports as follows: Product: Dell SupportAssist -- Error 27555. Error attempting to apply permissions to object 'MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DELL\SupportAssistAgent'. System error: The system cannot find the file specified. (-2147024894).

Please help.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 08:00

I have changed internet connectivity settings both on SupportAssist version 2.0.6875.668 (which still works)and on my pc Dell xps8900 windows 10 hme version 1803, turned Norton Security off but nothing, the program still won"t download and update. Can Dell technical support out of warranty, fix this issue?

I have installed Dell Update, but I am not convinced that this is delivering all the updates needed for my pc.

I have tried uninstalling with Revo uninstaller and reinstalling. But just have to revert to using the old version of SupportAssist.  I have full working internet but still get this message:-

Internet connection is required. Please ensure there are no firewalls or antivirus applications preventing SupportAssist from accessing the internet, ensure any proxy configuration is correctly set. check your connection and try again.

Any further help and suggestions would be appreciated

June 12th, 2019 07:00

Nothing is working to put Dell Support Assist back on.I lost it as everyone did because of MICROSOFT windows 10 update. Microsoft has worked 9 hours on board my laptop..no luck. Dell has worked on board on my Dell laptop 5 hours...no luck.This is ALL Microsoft's issue.My Yahoo I lost last year after an update, Windows 10 no longer supports Yahoo. What a mess!!! Unless this is addressed and fixed soon, it is going to be a new APPLE  laptop for me.!!! MICROSOFT blamed my internet provider so had provider put in new modem. Not the problem. I had even reported my provider to the FCC. This should of been addressed before the updates!!!! Dell owners are **bleep**. Dell gave up on trying. I have hours days into this and no more. APPLE here I come.

June 28th, 2019 01:00

Well, thanks a LOT, Dell. Here it is, roughly a year later, and no SupportAssist. 

Once you remove it from your computer?  IT IS GONE FOREVER, or so it seems. 

NONE of the alleged "workarounds" have any notable effect-- I even tried the  msiexec /i  /qn /l*v command, followed by the msiexec /p     /qn /l*v .

Did not do anything, and the log file (which appears to have been created) shows no errors, but no success either-- checking the installed programs list?  No supportassist. 

I have followed the various delete-the-folder, delete-the-APPDATA, edit the Registry, etc, etc, etc. 

Same old same old-- a busted, bug-ridden "software" that you absolutely need, but can't get to work.  The SupportAssistInstaller.exe?  Launches, then just sits there-- looking at you like you're some sort of **bleep**. 

But open the Task Manager or Performance evaluator?  ZERO NETWORKING ACTIVITY.  None. Nada.  Zip. Zilch.   Same for the SupportAssistLauncher.exe.  

I note that both are not real programs anyway-- both are 394KB stub files, that go fetch-- except they don't.  They just sit there, spinning and spinning and do exactly nothing.  Under Task Manager?  You get an occasional blip of GPU activity-- I can only assume it's "updating" the "progress" to the screen.... 

... but.  Zero plus Zero is still.... Zero.    

I have deleted SupportAssist files 'til I'm blue.  I've re-downloaded.  I've tried using Chrome, which allegedly adds a plug in-- nope.   

WHY IS THERE NO DIRECT LINK TO A FULL SIZED PROGRAM, INSTEAD OF A NON-FUNCTIONAL STUB FILE THAT DOESN'T WORK?  

Oh!  I did locate this file:  SUPPPORTASSISTX64-3.3.0.341.MSP  It's at least 147,027kb... 

But Windoze seems clueless what I am supposed to be doing with it... even MSIEXEC does nothing (as above, which I copied from earlier in this very same thread) 

I'm ready to sell this brick-- it all started with me foolishly letting Alienware Commend Center try to ... ahem... "update" itself... which, of course, broke my computer.... 

June 28th, 2019 09:00

Update.  New day, same old same old. 

This time?  I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes.   Scan shows no issues.  Uninstall. 

Next, download, install and run CCleaner.  Look for registry stubs-- a boatload of unreferenced DELL crapola (as expected), including Alien Command Center and Support Assist. 

Delete all the orphaned registry entries.  Reboot.  (and un-install CCleaner... it wants to keep memory resident kernel, which I do not want) 

Fresh download of SupportLauncher.exe.  This time?  Disable all firewall (I know, I know... but I'm covering all possible issue(s)).   Run the program.   

SAME STUPID USELESS NOTHING BEHAVIOR.   It trundles a bit, briefly toys with your hopes by going through three 0%-34%-64%-blank cycles.  But this time, I was prepared-- and watching actual TCP and WiFi activity on the Performance Monitor engine-- AT NO TIME DID SUPPORTLAUNCHER.EXE ATTEMPT TO ACCESS THE WEB.   I DID start with elevated access:  "run as administrator".  

This BUGWARE IS BROKEN, FATALLY, DELL.   

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 28th, 2019 12:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to have this escalated.

If the system is in under warranty, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to find the service tag

1 Message

July 4th, 2019 06:00

I tried everything and anything with no luck with getting the 394 KB downloaded SupportAssistInstaller application file to Install. Kept getting the same "Installation Cancelled" message.

I then noticed that the file I had downloaded after a google search had a slightly different file path, albeit from Dell UK. I then downloaded the application file from the below link and it worked:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/uk/en/ukdhs1/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/supportassist?dgc=SM&cid=304177&lid=spr2437618295&linkId=69793865

Not sure if this will fix for others. If it does, then may be Dell just need to clean up their old searchable licks.

Now the issue that I can't get fixed (with a easy fix), is the fan being l really loud on my XPS 9550 even though I'm only browsing.

July 4th, 2019 07:00

I TRIED THAT UK LINK IT GETS TO DOWNLOADING NEEDED FILES AND DOES NOT PROCEED FROM THERE. I WISH DELL WOULD OR COULD DO SOMETHING BUT THEY DO NOT KNOW WHY. VERY DISCOURAGING AS MY CURSOR FREEZES TOO AT TIMES AND I FEEL DELL SUPPORT ASSIST IS HIGHLY NECESSARY. :smileysad:

1 Message

July 17th, 2019 09:00

The same issue for me tried everything in this list and still states I need the update which when I install does not work. Please assist

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

July 18th, 2019 11:00

Hi chidny,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies your system is not performing as expected.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

July 18th, 2019 17:00

Support Assist has nothing to do with warranty at all. It is used to update dell drivers . It comes with Dell products. Updates are free. Windows 10 did a new version and I lost it. Even though Windows 10 has it available in their Microsoft store app free, it goes to your site when clicked on and will not download . I have been told by a Tech at Dell on the  phone Tech service that they are working on it and yes it is needed and FREE to Dell computer owners as always.

Kathleen Quinlan

1 Message

December 28th, 2019 03:00

I had the same issue after discovering that the Alienware updater did not work. For me, uninstalling the Alienware updater did the job. As soon as that was removed, the installer worked right away.  

No Events found!