Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 4th, 2018 10:00

XPS 8920 Support Assist Issue

Support Assist crashed during the last Dell Update several months ago.

Now it doesn't open.

I tried to uninstall it through Windows Setting / Apps and got this error msg

dell error.jpg

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 4th, 2018 13:00

A number of users have reported issues with SupportAssist after a recent Microsoft update. And it's not easy to uninstall.

Grab the free version of Revo Uninstaller and use that to uninstall SA. Then download the latest version of SA and install that one.

But, are you sure you really need SA? You can easily check for driver updates on Dell's support page for the XPS 8920 yourself and install only the ones that fix a problem you're actually having.

5 Posts

August 4th, 2018 18:00

Thanks Ron. I can get driver updates as you suggest. But doesn’t SA have hard drive health agent? My XPS is equipped with a M2 SSD. And I guess that one of the modules in SA keeps that SSD healthy?

5 Posts

August 4th, 2018 20:00

Thanks Ron. I got Support Assist to install thanks to REVO.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 4th, 2018 21:00

@BillS22 wrote:

1. But doesn’t SA have hard drive health agent?

2. My XPS is equipped with a M2 SSD. And I guess that one of the modules in SA keeps that SSD healthy?

1. Windows-10 does that itself.... SSD's should get optimized monthly. I think that's just a manual "trash collection" and block reset.

2. If you want to see the SMART, you can run Crystal DiskInfo or PassMark DiskCheckup. But SMART is mostly for spinning HDD's ... rarely will a SSD have problems ... ever.

I got rid of all that Support-Assist non-sense.

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/m-p/6095405/highlight/true#M3971

No Events found!