Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2015 14:00

Change from standard Timefinder Clone to Timefinder Clone Snap VP

I currently have a standard Timefinder Clone relationship in a "copied" state. I want to change this relationship to a Timefinder Clone Snap VP. After step 1 below the target tdevs are still going to have all the original tracks allocated. Do I need to unbind the target tdevs prior to step 2 or will the tracks automatically be unallocated when I create the Timefinder Clone with Snap VP session?

Steps:

1) Terminate Timefinder Clone relationship

2) Establish Timefinder Clone with Snap VP

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2015 22:00

You do not need to unbind and bind the target tdev prior to step 2, it will automatically be unallocated when you create a VP Snap with symclone -vse option

However, the following restrictions apply to VP Snap target:

• A Thin device with persistent preallocations cannot be used as a VP Snap target.
  • Both the source device and the target device must be thin devices.
  • All of the VP Snap target devices for a particular source device must be bound to the same thin pool.
  • Once created, VP Snap sessions cannot be changed to any other mode.
  • The source device and the target device must be the same size.
  • VP Snap sessions cannot be combined with TimeFinder/Clone nocopy sessions on the same source device.
  • If a FAST VP target extent is part of a VP Snap session, the shared tracks cannot be moved between tiers.

Please see VP Snap consideration on page 7  from the implementing TimeFinder VP Snap white paper.

https://support.emc.com/docu40346_White-Paper:-Implementing-TimeFinder-VP-SNAP-for-Local-Replication.pdf?language=en_US

For more info, Please see CHAPTER 4 Performing TimeFinder VP Snap Operations, page 101

https://support.emc.com/docu46958_Solutions-Enabler-Symmetrix-TimeFinder-Family-CLI--7.6-Product-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

July 6th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Keep in mind that the symclone create –vse that needs to be done may take a longer amount of time. During this time, the extents related to the full sized clone are being released back into the pool and marked as free. Depending on the other pool activity this could take several minutes. So I would schedule the create process ahead of the activate process to ensure you have sufficient lead time. This only happens for a create that is essentially converting a standard clone to a VP Snap.

Rich

Mobile: 201-410-7894

No Events found!