Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2010 08:00

Concat Meta -> Striped Meta

I've just come across a slight technical hitch. To cut a slightly rambly story short, I've found a bunch of our metas were created as concats, rather than striped.

This has just flagged up, as we've had 'performance problems', and I need to come up with the best solution I can to remedy the problem.

I'm thinking either: Create new striped volumes to replace the existing concat volumes, copy all the data (host, or TF/Clone) and swap them out.

Maybe doing it in a rotation (dissolve, reassemble one, and reshuffle them all).

But I was wondering if anyone had any better solutions? I don't think you can do it as simply as 'convert dev' type operation in solutions enabler sadly.

53 Posts

Ah, that's handy. I'll go have a rummage. I didn't realise you could do that.

142 Posts

You can convert Concatenated to Striped Metas on-line with the help of BCV. Search powerlink for exact procedure/limitations.

142 Posts

March 1st, 2010 09:00

emc122723 - "Converting a non-Striped Meta to a Striped Meta fails at 5x71"

emc208491 - "Cannot convert concatenated meta device to striped meta."

emc164363 - "Symmetrix DMX-3: Unable to convert concatenated meta to striped meta at 5771"

emc143927 - "Error: Selected BCV-Meta: 01B2 is Not Compatible to Meta: 005A"

emc212794 - "Cannot create a stripe meta using RAID5 device and protect data option"

These are some of the Primus Solutions I have. (Unfortunetly no one is how to do it :-), only related issues)

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 1st, 2010 10:00

I'm thinking either: Create new striped volumes to replace the existing concat volumes, copy all the data (host, or TF/Clone) and swap them out.

Maybe doing it in a rotation (dissolve, reassemble one, and reshuffle them all).

if memory serves me well TF/Clone would not work, meta config has to be identical between source and target. Is this a windows box ?

130 Posts

March 1st, 2010 11:00

I can think of two options

1.convert meta from the symconfigure.verify the primus case mc208491

2.backup restore

Let me know how this works.

53 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 02:00

This is a VMWare ESX cluster, so what we'll be doing is a 'convert' without protection.

We'll use VMotion to shift the VMs off as many disks as we can, covert them, and reshuffle the VMs to do the same again.

For reference, the command is:

convert meta 0D4, config=striped, protect_data=FALSE;

convert meta 0D5, config=striped, protect_data=TRUE, BCV_Meta_head=0FA0;

In order to do this, your BCV meta should be either mirrored or unprotected - it doesn't work with RAID 5 (at least, not on our code version).

But as mentioned, we're not doing that, we're just trashing and rebuildign some of the LUNs.

No Events found!