Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2007 19:00

How can I find out the EMC device ID of my AIX hdisk volumes

Hi,
On my AIX host, I can see a list of hdisks which are EMC Symmetrix volumes.
Is there way to find out what EMC device ID is associated with a particular hdisk?
for example, I have 4 EMC symmetrix volumes as shown in EMC control center, their device ID are 0093, 0094, 0095,0096. I see 4 EMC hdisks in my AIX host, hdisk5, 6, 7, 8 shown as EMC Symmetrix volumes. How can I tell which is which?
Thanks in advance for your kind response.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

October 29th, 2007 08:00

Please look at primus emc152568 .. You can find it via powerlink. It have an host of interesting notes on AIX and symdevs :-)

410 Posts

October 25th, 2007 19:00

you can dload inq utility from powerlink (Home>Support>diagnostic tools>inq utilitly).
by adding symm_wwn switch, you can get symmetrix id of the devices and and corresponding aix name.

or you can take a look at the disk serial number using prtconf i guess...that has your symmetrix dev id

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

October 29th, 2007 03:00

You can use the "inq" utility (that issues standard SCSI INQUIRE commands and shows you the output) or install the more detailed "syminq" utility, that is part of our Solution Enabler.

If you have ECC and can install the host agent on your host, you can even use ECC and its views to associate the devices you see at the host level (hdisk7 hdisk8 and so on) to the symdevs you already found via ECC.

You have a host of tools .. now it's up to you to choose the best one that fits your needs :-)

-s-

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

October 29th, 2007 06:00

next problem: AIX 5.3 which only supports displaying logical devices up to FFF, so any device with for example 2345 is shown exactly the same as 345. A new ODM fileset will be ready for download this quarter, so even 4-numbered logical devs will be made visible using the lscfg -vpl hdisk# command

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

November 19th, 2007 23:00

Yijle did our answers answer your questions ?? Is there something else we may add to this topic ??
No Events found!