Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2012 14:00

How to enable a device in a symmetrix DMX4-950 ?? Help !

This is probably an easy one for the skilled out there.

Here is the issue:

I am trying to create some new meta-luns in my DMX4-950 array (microcode version 5772) to present to a windows 2003 host.

Since this array was being used before I came here, there are a lot of meta-luns already created in the array, but most of them are no longer in use and can be deleted.

I proceeded to unmap and unmask the device by using the command "unmap dev XXX from dir all:all devmask_access=remove"

I then tried to dissolve meta XXX, but got an error stating that it should be write-disabled or not-ready before I can dissolve it, so I execute this command:

symdev -sid yyy not_ready XXX , and with this, meta XXX became not ready.

I then proceeded with the next command: "dissolve meta dev XXX" , and all was good, the meta was deleted.

I then created some new metas using the devices that I had "liberated" from the dissolved metas.

All these devices remained as "not ready".  I am trying to change this attribute by running "symdev -sid yyy rw_enable zzz" and I get this message:

"The device is already in the requested state".

But when I check this device's properties, I see it is still as NR (Not Ready).

What am I missing here ???

Thank you for any help !!

December 13th, 2012 15:00

Thank you Jasonc,

It is already mapped. I just realized I was typing the wrong parameter. I should use "symdev -sid yyy ready zzz"

So I should be using "ready" and not "rw_enable".

After using "ready", disks are available on my windows host.

Thank you.

465 Posts

December 13th, 2012 15:00

After you created the new meta, there is no mention of mapping it to an FA port. It can't be made RW to the channel unles it is mapped.

278 Posts

December 27th, 2012 05:00

Hello Nostradamus,

you have to use the command line to make "ready" a device, or enable or disable.

symdev -sid <> ready

No Events found!