January 29th, 2010 01:00

How to make 3 copies from BCV

Friends,

I have q question, it might be a basic one for you

I need to make a BCV copy of production data and import into
a test server.Then from this BCV copy restore the data into three
setof database devices.These three will be different copies of the
same data used for different purposes.

A simple pictorial representation of what I want is below.

Prod        |    Test
Host        |    Host
==============================
[PRD]      |    [BCV] --> [COPY 1]
               |             --> [COPY 2]
               |             --> [COPY 3]

Can I have your suggestions on how to make these three copies in test host
from the BCV copy?

thanks in advance
Jayan

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 9th, 2010 05:00

as long as you are ok with doing full re-establish on your STD-BCV relationship (plus if your BCV is an RDF1-BCV ..that also means full SRDF re-establish), first i simply cancel relationship. My devices are in a disk group so i run:

symmir -g cancel

and tha'ts it. At this point you can use BCVs as your source for TimeFinder operations.

I did try another approach where i would take a snapshot of my BCV and then i would restore this snapshot to a different device. Performance was horrible, it would take 2 hours to restore 8.6g device. So for now i dont' have a choice but to cancel relationship, clone my BCV to other devices, once clone is complete i terminate clone session and run full-establish on BCVs and then full SRDF sync.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 29th, 2010 03:00

will you need to re-establish BCV back to STD and how often ? We've had similar requirement for while where we need to make copies of RAID-5 BCV to dev and qa environment. Unfortunately BCV can not be source and target of TimeFinder/Clone operation at the same time (V-Max offer cascaded clone where you can do that). So for us in order to do what you are trying to do we always have to cancel STD-BCV relationship and then clone BCV to dev/qa instances. This is very inconvinient for us because our database is around 5 terabytes so every time we cancel STD-BCV relationship, it's a full sync the next time we establish STD-BCV. I have not tried this scenario where BCVs are regular 2-way-mirror or unprotected.

1.3K Posts

January 29th, 2010 08:00

Do the 2 copies have to be a copy of a copy?  Why not just make three seperate copies at the same time?   SNAP might be great for this if you can simply make three copies at the same point in time.

10 Posts

January 29th, 2010 08:00

Yeah, ,we will need to establish the STD-BCV pair atleast once in a month or so. Not sure ,how the "cancelling STD-BCV" pair going to work.But waiting to see, if I can get some more suggestions on this.I remember in my previous organisation using some unix "dd" based solution. It may not work ,if data runs in to terabytes.

1.3K Posts

January 29th, 2010 10:00

Couldn't you simply make 3 Clone or SNAP copies and make the same modifications to each?

10 Posts

January 29th, 2010 10:00

Yes , they need to be a copy of copy. Becuase after making the first copy(ir BCV), there is going to be some modifications on to it.Only after that , other copies are to be made.

10 Posts

February 9th, 2010 01:00

Hi Dynamox, you have replied that

"We've had similar requirement for while where we need to make copies of RAID-5 BCV to dev and qa environment. Unfortunately BCV can not be source and target of TimeFinder/Clone operation at the same time (V-Max offer cascaded clone where you can do that). So for us in order to do what you are trying to do we always have to cancel STD-BCV relationship and then clone BCV to dev/qa instances. This is very inconvinient for us because our database is around 5 terabytes so every time we cancel STD-BCV relationship, it's a full sync the next time we establish STD-BCV."

Can you give little elaboration on this,I mean step by step using commands ? Are you saying you userd the symmir -cancel option. I have never used this options any time. Also I am not sure ,if there is another way exist to accomplish what I am looking for

10 Posts

February 9th, 2010 01:00

No, it is a very time consuming process .I need to make a copy (BCV) of the original data ,then make modifications on to this BCV data and then copy this modifies data to three different set of disks. that is what I want. Any idea on this particular requirement
No Events found!