Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2010 13:00

SRDF write performance with Larger Lun Sizes.

We have SRDF customers that are currently running on older DMX arrays using METAS that are in increments of 8gb.   Our new VMAX array has larger drives

so the HYPER sizes are 25 gb.   When im desiging SRDF i want to make sure i have as many hypers as possible due to the limit of '1 write pending per hyper' .    I have the choice of wasting storage to get the same amount of hypers or i could pool hypers ( datadevs) in to thin pool and prealloc ( thick provision) the hypers in small increments , possible the 8gb again.    Should i not worry about this because 74 code has better SRDF performance?

What are other customers doing?

147 Posts

May 21st, 2010 02:00

second option is widely used in this situation

so put the hypers into the thin pool as TDATs and then create smaller TDEVs, the SRDF/S write serialization is against the TDEV and not TDAT

next question... concat or striped metas right?

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

May 21st, 2010 00:00

Your hyper sizes are 25gb or 25GB ? So how large are your symdevs ? 50GB ? 75GB ?

FYI: A hyper of slice is 1 piece of the symdev. If a disk is cut into slices, several slices or hypers from several disks combined form a symdev.

Forgive me for nagging.

1.3K Posts

May 21st, 2010 04:00

The best practices paper has been updated to include reasons you might want to use striped meta volumes over concatenated ones.

Overall RAID1 will give you the best performance, followed by RAID5 (3+1 is generally better performing on thin than 7+1) and then RAID6.

You need enough TDATs spread across enough drives to handle the workload.  You may need more drives with RAID5 than RAID1 and even more if you choose RAID6.

It is quite likely the presentation you are looking for won't be posted on the EMC World site, since it had a lot of specific performance data in it.  However if it is the presentation I'm thinking of, it is already posted on the internal EMC site "SPEED" where the EMC folks that are performance gurus can download.

51 Posts

Thanks for the nagging.    I consider the symdev and hyper the same thing unless i make a meta . Then the symdev is the meta device and the hypers are the members of the meta.

51 Posts

Ok Thanks... i will have to see if one of my insiders can get a hold of it for me. 

51 Posts

Jason,

Thanks for the reply...  I figured that i needed to make datadevs and put them in a pool.  The problem now is to delete all the symdevs since i cant convert them.

Striped vs Concat -  If you read best practices guide they say Concat.  I did attend a session at EMC world on performance and Thin provisioning and they said

best performance was  striped for 3raid5 .   That was also based on 16 datadevs per disk.

Im waiting for those slides to be available so i can confirm what i wrote down.

1.3K Posts

May 21st, 2010 05:00

Most people in EMC will consider a hyper a physical split on a disk.  With mirrored this is almost the same as a logical device, but there is two hypers that make up a RAID1 logical.  With RAID5 3+1 there are 4 hypers on 4 disks, etc.  

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

May 21st, 2010 05:00

Split, hyper, slice.....

With RAID1 this is indeed the same size as the symdev, so that's where the confusion comes from.

But in the end you cannot address a split/slice/hyper, but you can address a symdev or the symdev that's the head of a meta.

Talking about hypers is almost as bad as talking about SAN when in fact you mean the storage array.

147 Posts

May 21st, 2010 06:00

striped meta is heaps better with SRDF/S to mitigate write serialization, especially with hosts with no LVM such as Windows

the issue with striped metas is there is currently no way to do a native online expansion of a thin striped meta

so the current decision point today can hinge around the presence of an LVM on your hosts

51 Posts

May 21st, 2010 06:00

I was checkng my notes from the session ..     Striped meta is better due to locality of data.  

51 Posts

May 21st, 2010 13:00

hypers make you cringe.....  I agree its REALLY important stuff .  Im going to home to tell my 6 year old not to make the same mistake i made this morning.

2.1K Posts

May 21st, 2010 13:00

I know we have had this discussion before as well RRR and I'm going to back you up here too. I cringe when folks refer to addressing hypers. A hyper is a component (building block) that can be put together with other hypers to make a device. There isa circumstance where a hyper can be made into a device without adding more hypers, but that makes me cringe too (unprotected BCVs).

These are standard definitions in EMC documentation, and while it may sound picky to some, a common language will prevent misunderstandings that could have been avoided :-)

147 Posts

May 21st, 2010 17:00

oh geez I called them hypers as well in my post

I actually try and avoid the term hypers when I talk with customers, I try and find out what term they are used to using for such an object, as commonly they have come from another vendor disk array terminology

lun is a fun one to cause confusion as well

2.1K Posts

May 25th, 2010 12:00

I think the "LUN" thing is even worse for people coming in from a CLARiiON (or other vendor) background... trying to fit the Symm concepts into their existing mind set. I was one of those coming from pure CLARiiON into a new Symm environment and it took a while to get things straight so that I didn't try to treat my Symm like a big fast CX.

I think RRR will agree with me that the point isn't so much that there is a right and a wrong, but the use of a consistent "language" so that everyone can be fairly certain they are talking about the same thing. There are times when it can make a huge difference in a discussion if you are talking about two different components but both thinking you are talking about the same thing.

The definitions I choose to stick with are the ones that seem to be the most prevalent among the EMC engineers and support personnel as well as the official EMC documentation. I try to be flexible in understanding what others are referring to, but the more I can influence the use of common definitions the more time we can spend solving problems as opposed to time spent defining them in the first place.

I will apologize if the tone of my message came across as too harsh, but I won't apologize for trying to drive forward the consistent use of terms relevant to the platforms we rely on day in and day out.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

May 26th, 2010 02:00

> I think RRR will agree with me that the point isn't so much that there is a right and a wrong, but the use of a consistent "language" so that everyone can be fairly certain they are talking about the same thing. There are times when it can make a huge difference in a discussion if you are talking about two different components but both thinking you are talking about the same thing.

Consistent language is indeed what you'd look for, if you talk about "SAN" today and "Storage" tomorrow, people certainly WILL get confused. And if you're consistent about hypers, symdevs, SAN, storage and so on, people always know what you're talking about.

Now it's up to us to educate the rest of the world

No Events found!