Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2010 15:00

VMware Grabs and Solutions Enabler requirements

Howdy

Does anyone here have experience setting up VMware/ESX grabs for hosts attached to Symms?  I've got several hosts attached to a DMX 4 and I'd like run a HEAT report on them before we upgrade to vSphere.  The grab documentation is ... err ... a bit thin.  Obviously it requires solutions enabler, but:

1) does it need to be installed in the service console, or does it use the vApp that the storage plugin uses?

2) is it persnickety about the SE version, if so which one should be used?

3) for the gatekeepers, does there need to be 1 per HBA per host?

thanks in advance!

-- brerrabbit

39 Posts

June 4th, 2010 05:00

That's what I'm attempting to do.  Clearly, solutions enabler is required, but which version and where?  If you run the tool against a host that is attached to a Clariion, you need to have the navicli installed in the service console, and there is a version of navicli specific to ESX host (and it is organized/categorized that way in the download area in powerlink).  The SE situation is more vague....there aren't any SE downloads labeled as ESX or VMware (at least not any that I can see with my account), plus there are other options, i.e. the SE vApp.  Is the linux version of SE sufficient?   Does it matter which version of SE, or will the grab tool use whatever is handy?

What would really be useful is a setup guide for the grab tool, something along the lines of, "To run this tool against a Symm, do these 4 steps in this order:"

Does that documentation exist anywhere?  Anybody know what the steps are to set this up?

Thanks

-- brerrabbit

184 Posts

June 4th, 2010 10:00

I'm not an expert with this topic, but just thought I would make an effort to help.

I found this document that appears to be help setup procedure.

Please take a look:

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1//en_US/Offering_Technical/Software_Download/Readme_EMCGrab_ESX_vSphere_v1.2.1.txt

I will continue looking for additional help.

No Events found!