Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2011 13:00

What versions of Solutions Enabler are supported w-VMWARE and VSI

Our VSI storage pool management plugin was pointing at a Windows server w/SE 7.120. We got a vmax and needed to update that machine to SE 72 to support the latest SMC. It seems to have broken the VSI plugin. Do we need to install something different for the plugin? Or does the plugin only work with 7.120?

-- Thanks

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 10th, 2011 13:00

what version of plug-in are you running ?

286 Posts

February 11th, 2011 10:00

If you are using SPM with VSI 3.0, it will not function with SE 7.2, you will need to upgrade to VSI 4.0. There are some great new features in the latest version of SPM so i recommend upgrading either way. Please consult the SPM techbook for details on how to upgrade your SPM environment without losing your SPM configuration before performing the upgrade though. The book can be found here:

http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/technical-documentation/h7095-vsi-storage-pool-mngt-tb.pdf

Thanks!

Cody

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cody Hosterman
SVPG Partner Engineering – VMware & Cisco Technologies
Symmetrix & Virtualization Product Group
EMC Corporation

Twitter @codyhosterman
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17 Posts

February 11th, 2011 11:00

Hey Cody,

We were already using VSI v4 w/SE 7.1.2.  I don't think anything changed where VSI is running. And the only changes made to the server where SE runs were:  updating SE to 7.2 and SMC to 7.2.0.9. I'll read thru the pdf and see if anything jumps out at me as being related.  Let me know if you think of anything else.

286 Posts

February 11th, 2011 13:00

Interesting. I would recommend opening up a support case for this. But feel free to upload the logs for VSI here too and I can take a look at them. Since there are a few moving parts it could be a combination of a few things depending on the setup of you particular environment. Such as:

• The version of SE locally to your install of VSI
  • The version of SE installed on your SMC server (if SMC is using a local copy of SE for management of the array--it has GKs) (shouldnt be as big of an issue, but worth checking)
  • The version of the remote SYMAPI server
  • 32-bit or 64-bit version, locally VSI requires 32-bit no matter the OS version

Do other features of VSI work, like the Storage Viewer feature?

For expediency though, I would recommend opening a support case.

17 Posts

February 11th, 2011 14:00

Cody,

I'm going to bet the issue has something to do with the SE versions no longer matching between the SMC/Se server and the VSI server. Someone else does the VSI installs here so here's a rookie question. Is SE bundled w/the VSI plugin so we could just reinstall VSI and pick SE v7.2?  Or where would I get SE 7.2 for the VSI plugin?  And are there upgrade procedures? I thought the docs we read said it should work with 7.12 on the VSI server and 7.2 on the remote SMC/SE server. But maybe we read that wrong. We have to have 7.2 on the remote server because we're on Enginuity 5875 on the Vmax.

-- Thanks

286 Posts

February 11th, 2011 15:00

You are correct, VSI should function correctly as long as the version of SE are either 7.12 or 7.2 as well as SMC. A server/client mismatch should not be an issue unless you are running 5875, then you will need 7.2.

VSI compatibility and interoperability matrix

Product version

VMware vSphere Client

Solutions Enabler

Symmetrix Management Console (SMC)

SRDF SRA

VMware SRM

VSI V4.0

4.0, 4.0 U1, 4.0 U2, 4.1

7.1.2, 7.2

7.1.2, 7.2

2.1, 2.2

1.0 U1, 4.0, 4.1

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-011-775.pdf

Yes, SE 7.12 is bundled with VSI 4.0 (this is new to 4.0 as previous versions required you to install it separately). If VSI detects that 7.12 or higher is installed though it will not install SE at all. You should be able to just download the Windows 32-bit SE 7.2 from powerlink and install it manually to upgrade it locally. There is currently no version of VSI that is bundled with any version of SE higher than 7.12. The typical installation process should be fine and no special changes are typically required.

Thanks

Cody

No Events found!