Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2013 14:00

how to find faulty disk location in VMAX?

Hi Everyone,

In case of multiple disk failures in different DAEs. How to locate the specifc failed disk, using its DA,Interface,Target ID details? What is the method to get the exact disk location? in which bay, DAE and disk slot, bad disk is?

Waiting for your kind suggestions...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 31st, 2013 05:00

INT is the interface. It's the port on BackEnd director (DF). C is Port 0, D is port 1.

October 24th, 2013 20:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and questions can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "Symmetrix Support Forum".

October 29th, 2013 01:00

I presume that the failed disk would have spared out, due to permanent sparing in VMAX (unless you have explicitly chosen not to use permanent sparing in VMAX).

Hence, you can check for the failed drives using the command symdisk -sid XXXX list -failed

And there is a very high probability that these disks would be spared out due to permanent sparing. This can be verified by issuing the command symdisk -sid XXXX list -isspare and checking for the entries from the command for failed drives.

I'm attaching the screens for your reference.

And if you are asking about the physical location of the failed drives, then there is a pattern for mapping the DAE's to the DA directors and hence the 'C' or 'D' loops.

I presume that the replacement script should have a step to light the LED on the disk for ease of identification. (not sure if this works for spares though).symdisk list -failed.pngsymdisk list -isspare.png

Hope this helps !!!

-Sreehari

October 30th, 2013 11:00

Hi Sreehari,

Thanks for the quick response. Still have one confusion, what location i should understand from the term "INT"?

If, I am not wrong, "ident/symb" both tell us the "director" and "processor slice". Whereas, "TID" spots the disk location on the DAE loop and slot. Then what is the significance of "INT"?

~Harendra

No Events found!