Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2008 13:00

how to find out Open port--DMX1000 ????

hi guys..

we got a DS-4700 M Fibre Channel switch , which we needs to connect symmetrix how can we findout there is an open port on any FA in the symmetrix to plugin Fibre cable....rather than physically open the DMX box , is there any command to findout this, i think symmaskdb list database will give us a list of all FAs and port attached devices , if we didn't find any devices on port ( either 0 or 1 ) of specific FA.. then is that port is an open port , i mean there is no cable plugin in that port ????..

thank you.....

385 Posts

January 18th, 2008 04:00

symcfg -sid xxx -fa all list -v

Director Identification: FA-4A

Director Type : FibreChannel
Director Status : Online

Number of Director Ports : 2
Director Ports Status : [ON,ON,N/A,N/A]
Director Connection Status : [Yes,N/A,N/A,N/A]

The Connection Status should show if it is being used and making sure it is "ON" shows that it is software enabled for utilization.

Going into ECC and using the Topology view against the FA object would also show you which ports are connected into the SAN as suggested, but this would not catch any FA ports directly connected to a host.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

January 17th, 2008 13:00

Interesting question ... I think that the answer is no .. From symwin you can use some weird E0, command (or something like that) to detect if you have the so called "cable contact" (the cable is plugged in the port) .. I think you have to either look at ECC or go directly to the switches and collect the WWN .. :-)

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 17th, 2008 14:00

i would use list logins, for example:

symmask -sid 123 list logins -dir 8c -p 0

385 Posts

Yup. In fact this is a really good example because that particular port is a direct connection to a Unisys mainframe which is why we don't use both ports on this particular FA given the I/O rates this system drives.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Director Connection Status :
[Yes,N/A,N/A,N/A]

I never noticed this part of the output !! :-)
It looks like your port 0 is connected to the switches while port 1 is still unplugged !! :-)

ThX for this nice trick !!

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 18th, 2008 05:00

yeah..nice indeed ..never really paid attention to those entries.

92 Posts

January 18th, 2008 16:00

is it good to use more than one port on same FA for open systems or use one for open system and remaining for any other platform ( like AS/400 ) ..
which is optimal one ???

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

January 20th, 2008 23:00

is it good to use more than one port on same FA for
open systems or use one for open system and remaining
for any other platform ( like AS/400 ) ..
which is optimal one ???

I think that the rule of thumb is to share a single processor between different platforms while trying to balance the IO/sec on the different ports/processors .. From the processor point of view, an IO is an IO operation .. wherever it comes from :-)

Please have a look at emc153666 for more details ... But think about opening your own thread the next time :D
No Events found!