Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2013 23:00

lun address is not available..?

Hi All,

While mapping devices to FA's same available lun address has to be taken on both direcotor's or we can take anything.

on director 10A port 0 lun address "03F" is availabe,but it is not available on director 7A port 0.

Can i take '03F' for director 10A port 0 and '08D' for director 7A port 0...?

is it mandatory to take same lun address on both directory's for same devices..?

Thanks in advance.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

February 25th, 2013 04:00

you don't have to use the same FA address,  PowerPath will mask it anyway and present one power device.

278 Posts

February 25th, 2013 01:00

Thanks Sam for the clarification.

86 Posts

Windows Clusters do not need the same LUN address. Windows uses either disk signatures or GUIDs.

Sam Claret

Technical Support Engineer III

Global Technical Support – SSG Windows

278 Posts

Hi Atyam

If the 03f is not available on the FA's that you want to use, then you cannot take it.

Using the SMC, when you are trying to map a device to two or to four FA's, you are able to see what address the SMC "serves" to you.

If you click on the button APPLY, which is at the right down corner, then SMC serves to you the SAME lun address for your device.

It is mandatory to have the same Lun address, devices that will be provisioned for ESX for sure.

If i remember well devices that are going to be provisioned to a Windows Cluster must have the same LUN address.

For Open systems as fas as i know it is not mandatory.

Hi dynamox,

So can i map device 21BF on director 7a port 0 with available lun address irrespective of what is used for director 10a port 0 .

And  on director 10a port 0 device is already utilizing  by Solaris server. So this mapping can be done online, or it requires any downtime of server.Because this is very critical server.

Thanks in Advance.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

You can map that device to another FA without issues, what version of Solaris ?

Solaris verion is 5.10 and powerpath was installed.

Hi Yankees,

actually on director 10a port 0  device 21BF is already provisioned with lun address 03f.

now i have to configure for director 7a port 0 for redundancy .

On director 7a port 0 lun address 03f is not available to map the device.

So can i map the device 21BF on director 7a port 0 with available lun address or i have to use same lun address which is used for director 10a port 0.

i know 03f is cant be utilized on director 7a port 0 b'cause it was already utilizing by another device.

if same lun address has to be used on both director's means will lun offset helps me or is there any other option to get out of this.

No Events found!