Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

33 Posts

May 9th, 2019 10:00

DSS7000 Firmware Updates

Hi guys,

Dell OpenManage Enterprise and Dell Repository Manager can't manage the updates for these DSS7000 systems. So I'm looking for an alternative.

RACADM commands were my first thought, but I am not sure what I would be able to use to update the firmware all at once since I cannot create a catalog for these types of systems and RACADM docs say it supports .DUP, catalog, .d7. 

What is the best way to package all firmware for DSS systems into a single file for update via racadm or ansible? 

• 

6.2K Posts

May 9th, 2019 12:00

Hello

You can find documentation on the system support page Servers>Datacenter Scalable Solutions. There is a section about system management that lists several methods. OpenManage Essentials is listed as a supported management application.

OMEnt is the replacement of OME. Starting with version 3.0 OpenManage Essentials was changed to OpenManage Enterprise. Support for several older products were dropped with the switch to Enterprise. If you need to manage systems that were dropped you will need to continue using Essentials.

All of the management products will likely be using the same catalog files, so if the issue is that Dell EMC Repository Manager will not let you create a repository due to lack of bundle support for the DSS 7000 then that is not likely to change with other management products. I think you can create a custom bundle/repository with individual files. It should be covered in the manual for DRM.

http://www.dell.com/openmanagemanuals/

Thanks

33 Posts

September 19th, 2019 08:00

Hi Daniel, thanks for the reply! Sorry for just getting back to this. I do see the option to create a custom repository using manual bundles, but it forces you to select a system type, and indeed DSS7000 is not on that list.

Even if it was on the list for "Select System", say I decided what firmware is best and what I wanted to use this for my R630s, which are supported. There's no way to create a manual repository using the exact firmware components I want. I've tried making an empty bundle with DUP type 'Linux" for R630s and then tried to use the Import option to select my firmware piece by piece to make a custom repository, but have had no luck. I'm basically attempting to recreate the firmware on the bootable platform specific ISO in a repository: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=MY9KN 

If you know a better way please let me know!

I was unable to find the documentation with the systems management section that lists those methods, could you PM them to me when you get a chance? Thank you!!

No Events found!