Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2009 09:00

Dell Management Console Alerts

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how everything works in this new management console using my 600+ page documentation pdf, but I still have quite a few questions. Hope someone out there can help.

-I can't figure out the alerting at all. I have about 30 "test" devices and two of them have alerts but offer no info as to what the issue is. The description says "Device Primary Health Warning" and I can Acknowledge, Resolve, or Change Severity...but why would I want to do that if I don't know what the problem is?

-Is there a way to login to the altiris agent on individual machines for status similar to the way we could with OpenManage? (https://hostname:1311)

-How do I setup alerts to run? I'd like to try and test email and snmp alerts, but I'm not sure what they would even say since the current alerts in the console don't give an information. I could not figure this out using the documentation. The only mention of email alerts that I found was related to hierarchies.

If anyone can shed some light on to these issues, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Selym

2 Posts

May 28th, 2009 13:00

That guide does help with the initial setup, but there are still a lot of holes.  For example, my alerting works well but I can't quite get the description in the alert to be all that descriptive.  I am using the %!AlertHostname!%, %!AlertTimestamp!%, and %!AlertMessage!% variables but are there more that could be used?  All of my alet emails that are sent out with the description Device Primary Health Critical. 

I would like to configure an alert for all critical events, that would actually send out the alert or at least give you an idea as to where the general area of the alert lies (power supply, RAM, HDD).  ITA was great at doing this, but I can't quite figure it out with DMC.

1 Message

May 18th, 2009 14:00

Regarding the alerts, Dell wrote a nice step-by-step guide to that here, called Configuring Event Actions in Dell Management Console.

http://en.community.dell.com/groups/dell_management_console/media/default.aspx

I haven't found a GUI to the individual Altiris agents though.

1 Message

May 30th, 2009 05:00

hi bmg4357,

The following tokens are available for use with tasks such as the email task (note: all tokens are preceded wtih %! and end with !%):

• ALERTCATEGORYGUID
  • ALERTDEFINITIONGUID
  • ALERTGUID
  • ALERTHOSTNAME
  • ALERTMESSAGE
  • ALERTPRODUCTGUID
  • ALERTPROTOCOLGUID
  • ALERTRESOURCEGUID
  • ALERTSEVERITYLEVEL
  • ALERTTIMESTAMP
  • ALERTVARIABLE:variable_name

Many of these tokens are probably of less value to you in an email.  You can play around with them and see.  

As for formatting the alert that arrives, if it is a SNMP trap, you can find the definition in the Alert Management Settings (under Settings > Monitoring and Alerting > Protocol Management > Alert Management Settings) and edit the Format String, if that helps.  If you are receiving traps for which no definition exists, you can import the MIBs for those traps (under Settings > Monitoring and Alerting > SNMP MIB Import Browser > MIB Browser) and then edit the Format Strings as desired.

If the alert is one sent directly from the monitor agent (not SNMP) then formatting is "automagic" :).  It seems that you are looking for maybe the category name, but only the GUID is provided as a token.  Is that right?  If so you could try making a Job that first uses a SQL Query task to lookup the category name and then pass it to an email task.  I'm curious if that will work for you (since I haven't tried it).  Your query would be something like:

SELECT Name from dbo.Item WHERE Guid = '%!ALERTCATEGORYGUID!%'

Let me know what you are able to find out!

Best Regards

No Events found!