Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2011 12:00

Deploying BIOS settings via SCCM

I used CCTK to create a SCE containing BIOS settings for an Optiplex 990. When I manually run the SCE with admin credentials it configures the BIOS settings fine. When I create a software package in SCCM it fails to apply the settings. The program is set to run with admin rights. Looking at the execmgr log it fails with an error code 1. I can see it downloaded the SCE from the distribution point and attempted to run it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

June 28th, 2011 10:00

We had issues using the CCTK outside of WinPE and reverted to using a script (and Dell OMCI) to set our BIOS settings the way we wanted. This gave us the ability to customize the settings on a per-model basis if necessary.

55 Posts

July 1st, 2011 18:00

During an OSD task sequence I just reference a package I created that contains the Dell CCTK command line files and all of my scripts. I set a variable in my CustomSettings.ini file under the model section for each laptop that is the name of the ini file to use. Then when I do the BIOS configuration it is just a run command line referencing the Dell CCTK package with a cctk.exe -i %DellBiosCFG%. I have never had any issues doing it this way. About to start using the 2.0 version to see if it provides anything beneficial. So far I've been using the 1.2 on all models (Haven't yet tried setting it on the M6600...have used version 1.2 to get from the M6600 without issue).

1 Message

July 18th, 2011 09:00

I have the exactly same Problem, i also tried to pack the .exe file into a SFX archive which runs from %windir%\temp

July 18th, 2011 10:00

My "work around" was to export the settings to an ini file and then create a software package that includes the necessary cctk files and run it silently. It applied the settings correctly but the 990's would not WOL until I attempted a network boot. It didn't actually have to pxe and do anything I just had to select network boot from the boot options and then all was good. It also wouldn't display the boot order I set in the bios until I did this, but I know it was set correctly because they would only let me boot to either the network or hard drive which is the change I make in the boot sequence.
Go Dell!

11 Posts

August 26th, 2011 12:00

I've been struggling with pushing out the configuration file via Kace for over a week. Whatever solution we come up with I think will work the same for SCCM and Kace. I finally found out today that when I try to run the program using "Run as" I get that wonderful SCE error. This appears to be the cause of my frustrations, but I have yet to figure out the fix.

48 Posts

January 16th, 2012 13:00

Any updates on this?  I have the same problem.  SCCM gives error 255 when trying to deploye CCTK SCE in task sequence.  I can run the package from Windows manually outside of the task sequence and do not have an issue.

1.1K Posts

February 1st, 2012 15:00

The dev team has informed me that this issue is typical when using SCE without DCIP.  It is recommended to use DCIP to include the SCE in your task sequence.  

February 6th, 2012 08:00

Okay, this last suggestion is not an acceptable solution for anyone not using SCCM. Dell needs to fix CCTK. This tool is crashing when simply choosing "RunAs" to elevate permissions. This is unacceptable. This occurs specifically on XP in our environment. We don't currently have any other OS to test this on with the specific equipment that we work with, but so far we have reproduced the failure on XT2, XT3, & E6410's. We need to get a REAL status on when this problem will be resolved. It seems that this issue has existed for quite a long time now. What's up with that?

1.1K Posts

February 6th, 2012 08:00

CatalystTGJ,

If you need a firm date on when the issue will be addressed, you will need to open a formal ticket with Dell Support so that the issue can be documented, escalated and tracked for you.  

We are working on a process to handoff issues found in these discussion forums to our formal support teams, but it has not be finalized yet.

Contact information can be found at the link below.

support.dell.com/.../contact_technical_support

4 Posts

June 25th, 2012 21:00

Not sure if this is relevant but I had the exact same problem you describe even with the /nolog switch in the SCCM package for my Dell SCE package. What does work is if I use a SCCM task sequence command line step pointing to the Dell SCE package and set the run as to a domain admin account.

No Events found!