Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 4th, 2018 07:00

Good afternoon! I have the R740, it has a default 32 gig card installed, I added a second one and chose mirror mode. When the system boots, I'm asked to do a rebuild, I agree. Then Vmware ESXI 6.5 is loaded, and when I go to IDRAC, I see an alert for the Internal Dual SD Module SD2 is off-line. How to make the second card be repaired and be online

• 

8.8K Posts

July 4th, 2018 13:00

Seminiva,

The first thing I would check is the size of the second SD you added. Size can be difficult to estimate with SD cards; just because two cards are the same size (32GB) does not mean they contain the same number of available blocks. During a mirror rebuild, the size of the secondary card must have an equal or greater number of bytes available than the primary card. The easiest way to validate this is to select the card from within an OS, and request the size of the disk. I say this as the SD shows offline and not failed, meaning it is still seen as available. 

What do the 2 SD's show for individual sizes?

6 Posts

July 6th, 2018 00:00

The size is the same, by the properties of the sections, I tried to pull out the shawl, format the second SD card. The cards themselves are 32 GB in size. Today I'll try to experiment again.

December 5th, 2018 15:00

Did you ever resolve this?

My Dell T320; exactly the same.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2018 04:00

Same issue here on a R720. Was there a solution?

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

December 17th, 2018 21:00

This has been the process i use when one or both cards have issues.

Clear the SEL (system event log).

If just one card has an issue, remove it, insert it into a Windows box. Open a command prompt (run as administrator).

Note: the next commands will delete all data from the SD card!!

Diskpart, list disk, sel disk x (where x is the number of the SD card. Be careful to choose the SD card!!

Clean, then exit. Eject the card physically, reinsert it into Windows box, allow windows to format it. If format fails, the card is probably bad. Put card back into server, watch for message at boot that asks if you want to mirror the contents of the 1st SD card onto this one, say Yes.

11 Posts

July 12th, 2020 22:00

Same problem on an R720 here. Did someone ever find a solution?

• 

2.4K Posts

July 12th, 2020 23:00

Hello,

Please delete the SEL log. If iDRAC FW is not up to date, update to the latest version here https://dell.to/3ellwcz
Make sure your SD cards are the same and have enough free space. If necessary, format your SD card as in the above message when you have backups.

11 Posts

July 13th, 2020 01:00

Thank You! 

I'm on 2.63.60.62, and I can't see anything IDSDM related in the changelong of the newest one, so I guess it wouldn't make a difference if I updated it. And to be fair the one I have is already pretty new, so.. If it was related it would've been already solved by this build.

These are two brand new 64GB Kingston Cavas React micro SDs, and I was wondering if they were too big for this old IDSDM (mine is 12g server, a 720), and if I should buy 16 gigabyte ones instead.

If I disable mirroring, and use only the one in SD1 slot, then it works great, it's just that if I enable mirroring and after the mirroring completes it reports SD2 to be offline.

• 

2.4K Posts

July 13th, 2020 05:00

IDSDM probably doesn't support these SD cards. If you can try with lower capacity cards, can you try it? I did a lot of research, but I couldn't see what capacities IDSDM supports for 12G servers. https://dell.to/2WaCAfe I think FW doesn't offer a capacity solution for SD cards. In the IDSDM FW update for 14G, there was an improvement like "Updated to support larger SD card capacities, up to 1024 GB". Unfortunately for 12G, I couldn't see anything similar in the firmware enhancements and fixes I reviewed. It is possible that if SD cards DELL was not originally produced, it may be incompatible. But you probably have trouble with 64GB card because there is no FW level solution

Let us know if it helps.

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

July 13th, 2020 11:00

And just to be sure, each 64G card works fine on its own? 

Rey
#Iwork4Dell

11 Posts

July 13th, 2020 15:00

Yes unfortunatelly. I'll go and buy two 8GB cards (smallest I can get), and see if those solve the "issue". Although those are only class 4 cards, but I think I can live with that..

11 Posts

July 14th, 2020 05:00

Okay, so I went ahead and bought 2x Kingston SDC4/8GBSP 8GB microSD's. Brought them home, pluged them in -> can't mirror, because one is larger than the other.. duh.. Turns out one was made in Japan, the other one in Taiwan. Anyway, I took them back to get a 3rd one, and got another Japan one. So pluged in both the Japan ones, rebuilt them, and BAM. Everything is good.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

idsdm.jpg

• 

2.4K Posts

July 14th, 2020 06:00

Hey Sumi,

Thanks for the information have a good day.

1 Message

December 27th, 2020 13:00

Hey all, not to raise an old(ish) thread from the dead, but I just want to hop on here to add another confirmation.

I'm running an IDSDM in an R620.  I initially got a pair of 32GB Lexar Pro cards.  They absolutely match in size in manufacturer origin (heck, it came in a two pack).  I had the same issues presented in this thread.

I happened to have a matching pair of 16GB Sandisk Extreme cards that I used with my camera, so I tried those and voila.  Both are online, mirrored and happy.

So it appears to be a size limitation, at least with the IDSDM I have.

• 

4.1K Posts

December 27th, 2020 22:00

Hi, hope this helps, happy holidays!

https://dell.to/3rtelXT

Internal Dual SD Module or vFlash card

The PowerEdge R740 system supports Internal Dual SD module (IDSDM) and vFlash card. In 14th generation of PowerEdge servers, IDSDM and vFlash card are combined into a single card module, and are available in these configurations:

• vFlash or
  • IDSDM or
  • vFlash and IDSDM

The IDSDM/vFlash card sits in the back of the system, in a Dell-proprietary slot. IDSDM/vFlash card supports three micro SD cards (two cards for IDSDM and one card for vFlash). Micro SD cards capacity for IDSDM are 16/32/64 GB while for vFlash the microSD card capacity is 16 GB.

No Events found!