Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2009 03:00

Openmanage, unable to get snmp trap working

Hello,

I have a system (PowerEdge 2950) under Debian Etch, with Openmange 5.5.0 installed on it.

On the web interface of Openmanage.

In "Alert Management", "Platform Events", "Configure Destinations", "Desination 1". i have setup the IP adress of my SNMP server. (the "enable destination" was already checked)

In "Alert Management", "SNMP Traps" everything is on "Informational, Warning, Critical"

I tried to unplugged/replugged an hard-drive, a power cord, The errors are seen in the "Log" tab of Openmanage, but i never receive anything on the SNMP server.(i used "tcpdump" to track the packets)

Any idea on what i'm doing wrong ?

Regards,

Benoit.

2 Intern

• 

793 Posts

May 6th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for posting!  First, that is not a supported operating system, so I would not expect OMSA to work correctly to begin with.  You don't configure SNMP in OMSA, instead you configure the snmp service in the OS to send the SNMP traps to a trap sink such as IT Assistant.  In particular, make sure that the community name in the SNMP configuration matches on the server and the receiver, the destination address points to the receiver, and both systems are able to receive traps from each other.

I am not familiar with the tcpdump program, but SNMP uses the UDP protocol on ports 161 and 162, not TCP.  You can use TrapEar to make sure the traps arrive correctly.

4 Posts

May 27th, 2009 05:00

Thank you for your reply.

It seems that you are right, OMSA need an SNMP service on the local system because OMSA  doesn't  include one.

I will try to setup the SNMP service and try again.

No Events found!