Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2015 04:00

RAC0225: Sending the test mail failed - iDRAC8

I keep trying with a variety of different settings, settings that I KNOW work on other systems, yet I keep getting the following message:

RAC0225: Sending the test mail failed.
I have changed the Static DNS Domain Name in the iDRAC network settings...
The same setting are working perfectly on my other network devices.
Any ideas?

June 29th, 2017 07:00

Because this is the first result when googling the error message, I wanted to share the resolution for my system.  Config: PE R730, iDrac 8 (2.43.43.43), internal mail server.

On iDRAC Settings -> Network -> Common Settings both DNS iDRAC Name and Static DNS Domain Name had to be set.  Both had to be correctly resolvable to the DRAC interfarce.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2017 12:00

WE have an off-site email server.  Have a working iDRAC 8  and added a new server.  The last thing that it needed to work was a static IP.  However, it might have worked if I had checked off Use DHCP to obtain DNS server addresses.  I have one of our DCs as the static preferred DNS server and 8.8.8.8 as the alternate.  Also, the Static DNS domain name is that of our email server, which is not our domain name.  I believe that these were the stumbling blocks that I had when I was configuring the first server.  Both are working now.

1 Message

July 26th, 2018 23:00

Same issue. Same error. T630. 

Network settings were all correct -- an extremely simple network config because the iDRAC is on our management-only network and completely configured by DHCP.

Exact same settings appeared to be working on one T630 but not another.

Turns out, I was logged in a non-root Administrator on the failing T630 and logged in as root on the working T630.

Logged into the failing machine as root instead, and the test message sent fine.

October 30th, 2019 11:00

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but none of these solutions helped me and I was able to figure it out in the end.

My scenario: we are using Office 365 with a relay sent to our hybrid server and want to send alerts to an outside email address (for us it is @@happyFox.com... our new cloud based helpdesk). I had to send email with authentication and that is where is broke down. Basically you have to have an email account that it can send from. So under the network settings/ common settings... the DNS iDRAC Name" is the from address @ "Static DNS Domain Name" so if you have pizza for the "DNS iDrac Name" and Google for the "Static DNS Domain Name" you would need an email account that can send email called pizza@google.com. This is also the account you will want to use for authentication under your alert settings. for me I have a NoReply@domain.com that I use for both and will use that for all of my idrac's.

I banged my head on this one for about 10 hours, and a support case with Dell (with no help from them) so I hope this helps someone!

Cheers!

October 31st, 2019 05:00

For the moment there is no solution, a way around this is to setup an internal email relay server inside your network that will do authenticated email routing. Then point the iDRACs towards the internal mail relay and let that forward your messages.

In the future there will be some changes coming for these use cases.

2 Posts

November 28th, 2019 02:00

this seriously helped me fixing the same issue, thanks @DustinBarott26 !

-- better an old thread, than some remote support

April 7th, 2020 17:00

Hi,

Having the same issue.

Interestingly we have our own internal email relay setup and it still does not work.

I have some other iDRACs using the same relay that do work. They are running firmware 3.21.26.22

The newer machines with the iDRACS using this firmware 4.10.10.10 have the old RAC0225: Sending the test mail failed issue.

With the relay using debug_peer_level = 4 this is all I see.

Apr 8 09:43:30 postfix/smtpd[12295]: connect from . .com[10.1.1.1]
Apr 8 09:43:30 postfix/smtpd[12295]: disconnect from . .com[10.1.1.1]

What is missing?

April 8th, 2020 04:00

Hey @ifonlyitdid 

I would validate they are all sending with the same credentials and all sending to the same place.

Are you sending email inside you organization or outside? Are all of your iDrac's sending to the same email address? Have you combed through all the settings to make sure they are all the same?

April 8th, 2020 19:00

Hi,

I have tried several variations. The first of course was set the same as the working DRACs

The following being the only settings I believe are applicable:

iDRAC Settings -> Network -> Common Settings

* Register iDRAC on DNS
* DNS iDRAC NAME
* Static DNS Domain Name

Configuration -> System Settings -> Alert Configuration -> SMTP (Email) Configuration

* Email alert 1

Configuration -> System Settings -> Alert Configuration -> SMTP (Email) Configuration -> SMTP (Email) Server Settings

* SMTP (Email) Server IP Address or FQDN/DNS Name
* Sender Email Address
* Message subject Prefix
* SMTP Port Number
* Authentication

mynetworks in postfix controls connections - no authentication required

Destination email address is the same and I also tried some others and compared between working and non-working DRACs

April 8th, 2020 19:00

I downgraded the idrac firmware

3.21.26.22 - works
4.10.10.10 - does not

And we found this - https://www.dell.com/community/Systems-Management-General/RAC0225-Sending-the-test-mail-failed-with-iDRAC-4-X-X-X/td-p/7503290

So that is what we will try once back on 4.10.10.10

April 8th, 2020 20:00

# racadm set idrac.RemoteHosts.ConnectionEncryption None
[Key=idrac.Embedded.1#RemoteHosts.1]
Object value modified successfully

Now the test emails work - what a time waster!

1 Message

June 17th, 2020 16:00

This is great I was able to finally send using port 25. The question is TLS1.2 over port 587 to comply with O365. How did you accomplish this? Thanks again for sharing the method for a WIN.

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 09:00

Just to offer one more gotcha in setting this up...make sure you click the State box next to the email recipient and click Apply BEFORE you try to test!
If the recipient has not been saved, you will get that email failed message over and over no matter what SMTP settings you try.

• 

3.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2020 10:00

Hello,

thanks for this info Jim!

Marco

June 23rd, 2021 03:00

@ifonlyitdid wrote:

# racadm set idrac.RemoteHosts.ConnectionEncryption None
[Key=idrac.Embedded.1#RemoteHosts.1]
Object value modified successfully

Now the test emails work - what a time waster!

Wow. Thanks so much for this.  I wasted a couple of hours trying to figure out why we couldn't send test mails on iDRAC 9 enterprise.  We are sending mail via our ISP SMTP gateway and it is unauthenticated.  We were able to send mail from other devices without any problems.  I double and triple checked everything multiple times and couldn't figure out the issue.

I did some searching and found your post and was able to get the mails working.

I opened an SSH connection to the iDRAC, and ran the command and after that I was able to send email successfully without any problems.

Thanks again.

No Events found!