Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2015 22:00

SupportAssist login failed

Hi

I've installed SupportAssist to test with, but when I go to log in I get an unable to connect page after the credentials are entered. if i enter a wrong password it reports that, if i enter the correct password, just the error. The URL it redirects to is;

localhost/.../j_spring_security_check

• 

6.2K Posts

November 6th, 2015 09:00

Hello

What type of account are you logging in with? Is it a domain or local account, and does it have local admin rights? What OS and browser are you using? What version of SupportAssist are you using?

Thanks

12 Posts

November 8th, 2015 20:00

Hi Daniel

I'm logging in with a domain account, its a member of SupportAssistAdmins, Administrators, and Domain Admins groups.

The browser it defaults to its Firefox, version 42.

I've also tried it in IE, it doesn't display at all.

the server is running 2012 Standard. 

The version of supportassist, in the web GUI states just 'version for servers'. In the programs and features panel it is listed at 1.0.1.44

I haven't been able to log into it since install. As this is more a test run for us if there is something we've missed that'd be good to know.

• 

6.2K Posts

November 13th, 2015 09:00

The logon process for supportassist is very similar to OpenManage logons. It checks against the local user accounts for access. The Domain Admin group should add the user to the Local Admin group.

I just installed support assist and logged into it without issue, but I used a system that was not on a domain. I logged in with the local administrator account. I suspect that either the domain account you are using is not a member of the local admin or it could be an issue with user/pass complexity. I have not heard reports of special character limitations with supportassist, but we have had limitations with netbios credentials with OpenManage products.

Test with the FQDN and the short version: mycomputer.domain.extension\username AND domain\username to see if one of them works. It could also be an issue of browser security. Whatever the problem is it does not appear to be an issue with the application since I just tested it. The problem is likely with the user account, permissions, browser security, or some other security or configuration setting on your system or domain. The system I tested on has minimal security.

http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/an/en/andhs1/dell-suppasst-srvrs-v1.0/DSASQSG-v1/Logging-on-to-SupportAssist?guid=GUID-E58EA05B-8AA1-4E8A-825F-0FB77FCDC746&lang=en-us

You could also test with another OpenManage product like OpenManage Server Administrator. It may give a different error that could help narrow down the problem.

Thanks

12 Posts

November 16th, 2015 00:00

Hi Daniel

thanks for the help, unfortunately I've connected to that server and found that SupportAssist is not working - it doesn't present the login page at all at the moment. OMSA works fine however, and always has. I can also confirm already that I am using the same credentials as OMSA and these do not work

When I use credentials that don't exist I was seeing a different error to the one I've reported. Likewise I would receive an error about being in the wrong group when I used a known but non administrator account.

What services are for SupportAssist? I don't know which ones to check to ensure they are started to fix the current 'page cannot be displayed' error I've come across.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

November 20th, 2015 09:00

What services are for SupportAssist? I don't know which ones to check to ensure they are started to fix the current 'page cannot be displayed' error I've come across.

I think there are only two:

Dell SupportAssist Service:

Provides access to SupportAssist functions using an industry standard web browser.

Dell SupportAssist TrapListener Service:

Provides SNMP trap alerts for SupportAssist.

The trap listener should not be required for login though. If those services are running then try stopping the OMSA services to see if they may be conflicting somehow with SupportAssist. The OMSA services should all start with DSM in their name.

Thanks

12 Posts

November 24th, 2015 19:00

Hi Daniel

I couldn't find the services so uninstalled and reinstalled, now I have services, however it doesn't let me log in, saying the account I'm using isn't a member of the SupportAssist groups. I have re-added the account to the groups and restarted the server without success. I might set up a test account, in case its related to the fact the account was a member of the groups last time, and on uninstall the groups disappeared.

overall this has been a bit of an adventure, not sure why its so hard to set up on a single server AD network.

1 Message

January 6th, 2017 17:00

I just got a mssg that I needed to register with Dell assist!? I thought I was>?? Not sure. I have not been able to connect to some URl's lately. I have been piddling with being urged to change from Chrome as my default to Microsoft edge since I have 10. I tried to then went back and changed it....I think. I am computer dummy, and have struggle to do everything myself...ugh.. Sincerely Jazz Cooper

1 Message

June 14th, 2017 17:00

I'm having the same problem.  When I put in my credentials and new pass word it can find the local host page.  This doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in Dell. I am using Windows 10. 

2 Posts

June 16th, 2018 02:00

Re: SupportAssist login failed

I have spent the last half hour trying to access Dell Support with no success. That is even after following the procedure to rest my password.. Dell, you need to get your act together - currently you seem pretty useless!

2 Posts

June 16th, 2018 02:00

I have spent the last half hour trying to access Dell Support with no success. That is even after following the procedure to rest my password.. Dell, you need to get your act together - currently you seem pretty useless!

1 Message

June 22nd, 2018 13:00

Doesn't work for me either :-(

1 Message

June 26th, 2018 15:00

log me in for my updates

1 Message

June 29th, 2018 21:00

Need assistance 

1 Message

June 30th, 2018 13:00

I am trying to learn how to load my DVD player and play a movie on my computer.  HELP. Don't know what I am doing :)

July 2nd, 2018 19:00

@Michael-H wrote:

Hi Daniel

thanks for the help, unfortunately I've connected to that server and found that SupportAssist is not working - it doesn't present the login page at all at the moment. OMSA works fine however, and always has. I can also confirm already that I am using the same credentials as OMSA and these do not work

When I use credentials that don't exist I was seeing a different error to the one I've reported. Likewise I would receive an error about being in the wrong group when I used a known but non administrator account.

Thanks

No Events found!