Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2014 09:00

iDRAC6 not responding + LCD display not working

Hello

Today I wanted to boot one of my lab R710 servers when I realized that the fans didn't slow down and the front LCD display kept dark.

First I though I ran into a RAM problem since the system first stuck at "Configuring memory please wait ..."

Then I removed some DIMMs etc. until I realized that after while the boot continued up to this point:

I got a second R710 and so I've decided to swap the iDRAC adapters and the allegedly "broken" one worked in the other server without any issues. I've put the "ok" one in the affected server but still the same problem.

I also swapped the board of the front LCD panel and checked he cabling, not still the same error.

So  I got the bad feeling it would be the mainboard.

Unfortunately I'm unable to upgrade the firmware (running an old 6.0.7 BIOS) since the boot gets interrupted too early.

At the moment I'm a bit clueless on how to proceed and I'm really looking forward to get some tips from you!

Best regards

Patrick

4 Posts

July 4th, 2014 13:00

Does anybody know why I sometimes get the F1/F2 prompt and the warning: "Alert! iDRAC6 not responding. Power required may exceed PSU wattage." but I'm able to continue the boot and sometimes the system instantly reboots like depicted in the screenshot.

Also the system takes 2-3 minutes after powering on to display the "configuring memory" and then again the screen goes dark for another 2-3 minutes before the actual boot begins where I can use the F-keys as usual. Exception, the F10 option is not available: "System Service Disabled".

I'll continue to see if I can recover the system by performing a firmware update via SUU DVD.

Any ideas?

Regards

Patrick

4 Posts

July 5th, 2014 09:00

Hello again.

Today I've created a bootable linux image using the Dell Repository Manager 1.9 to update the server to v5.0.2 including BIOS 6.4.0.

Unfortunately the update didn't fix the problem! I also updated my second R710 including iDRAC to version 1.97. Then I tried to swap the iDRAC adapters again, but this also didn't help.

I assume there must be a physical problem /broken part on the mainboard.

However I the OS boots as usual but since I'm running the server as part of my home lab is impossible to continue to use the server right now because the fans are running at full speed.

Regards

Patrick

4 Posts

July 19th, 2014 04:00

Today I replaced the mainboard with a spare part and this finally fixed he problem!

1 Message

July 1st, 2015 23:00

same problem in my dell R710 server. please share your technical Exprience to solve the problem

April 2nd, 2018 11:00

I also have the same symptoms:

- iDrac6 not responding

- fans always full speed

- no lights on front LCD display

- takes long time to boot up, and only gives up on drac and actually boots on 2nd boot attempt

Please advise what part did you replace on the mainboard (or was it the entire mainboard) to fix this?

September 8th, 2019 23:00

same symptoms.

Look like an entire motherboard issue.

I tried to disconnect the DRAC module and disconnect RAID PCI module - nothing happens.

Did you solve the problem?

October 16th, 2019 11:00

Ok,

The problem with all the symptoms listed above was in this module:  

Dell G044C iDRAC6 Express PowerEdge Remote Access Controller Card

photo_2019-10-16_23-10-13.jpgphoto_2019-10-16_23-10-15 (2).jpgphoto_2019-10-16_23-10-15.jpg

Replacing the module from work board solved issue.

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2022 23:00

I had the same issue as all here. It seems to happen when storing the system for some time. I don’t believe it’s a faulty iDRAC. I believe it’s a licensing issue. The license is suppose to last the life of the server. Although, when it’s gone beyond a certain time frame with no initializing, and there is no automatic support for it since it’s end of life/end of support, the license issue prevents it from initializing (in theory that has yet to be proven by myself). I am not able to replace the iDRAC express card, like Dmitry, but I think this is where the licensing is stored. Replacing it with one that doesn’t have licensing issues works but doing research on how to fix this without swapping modules. 

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

March 4th, 2022 02:00

iDRAC not responding and initialization error normally comes when there is a iDRAC hardware failure. For iDRAC 6 module itself is the license there is no license file.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2022 08:00

I believe there is something to be said for this.  I have same issue.  6 R710 servers.  When I decommissioned them and put them in storage all were working fine.  I tried to bring one online for a lab environment and get the same symptoms as you.  Tried a different server...same result.  Turns out only 1 works.  I really don't feel like it is an IDRAC "hardware" failure nor a motherboard failure since everything works other than the fans running at a million miles an hour and the LCD panel will not light up.  If you figure out anything please update.  I think there may be a battery issue or something but I tried the raid batteries and that did not help.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2022 08:00

Please see my note above to avTronic.  I find it hard to believe that 5 iDRACs failed in exactly the same way at exactly the same time.

No Events found!