Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2005 23:00

unable to connect to OpenManage Server

I’m trying to run IT Assistant on a Dell Precision 340 workstation running XP Professional with the latest SP and all the hot fixes.  After a successful installation, I find I can not launch the application as I keep getting an error indicating “unable to connect to Dell OpenManage server localhost on Port 2607….”  I’ve searched the forum for other messages about this and have already performed the following actions:

1)      I’ve verified that both the IT Assistant Connection Service and the IT Assistant Network Monitoring Service are up and running

2)      I verified that MSDE is running (with SP3a installed) and that the IT Assistant database was created and populated correctly.  (I’ve also manually launched dcdbmng.exe within the bin directory and verified everything appears fine).

3)      I’ve verified that SNMP is running.

4)      I’ve verified that I’m logged in as Administrator on the workstation.

5)      I’ve even uninstalled and reinstalled it also and then re-verified all of the above.

So, everything seems to be installed correctly and running from a services point of view, yet I keep getting the unable to connect error. As you can image this is VERY frustrating! :smileymad:

Does anybody have any further suggestions as to what I can do to get this working?

Thanks!!

99 Posts

March 29th, 2005 15:00

In order for IT Assistant to receive SNMP traps from PET (Platform Event Trap) enabled boxes, UDP port 162 must be opened up.  To open up port 162 do the following:

1.      Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall

2.      Click on the Exceptions tab

3.      Click on Add Port

4.      In the Name box type “SNMP Traps”

5.      For the port number enter 162

6.      Select UDP

7.      Click OK

8.      Click OK

For a complete listing of ports that IT Assistant uses to manage a network see C:\Program Files\Dell\OpenManage\IT Assistant\Uguide\ports.htm.  Use the procedure above to open any more required ports.

3 Posts

March 30th, 2005 09:00

The UDP port for SNMP is open on the machine and I even disabled XP’s firewall.  Yet, I still get the following dialog box error when attempting to launch IT Assistant: Unable to connect to Dell Open Manage server 'localhost' on port 2607.  The connection parameters may be invalid or the server may be down.  Try restarting the application or contact the system administrator if the problem persists.

Thanks for the suggestion though!  Any other idea as to what might be causing the application to fail to launch?

16 Posts

April 12th, 2005 07:00

Hi WolfTombe,

I am having the same problem. Have you solved yours yet?

3 Posts

April 12th, 2005 10:00

Unfortunately I have not been able to resolve the problem.  Just the one response from Dell above and that was all.  I’ve got Silver Premium Support, so if I get a minute, I may have to open an official trouble ticket on this.  If I find a solution, I’ll post it here in the hopes it might help others.

16 Posts

April 13th, 2005 01:00

Hi,

I got this problem solved now. We need to get SNMP and IIS running before we install IT Assistant.

No Events found!