Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2014 07:00

Dell C6220 BMC Password Recovery

Hello all,

I've got a C6220 server that for whatever reason had a different BMC password placed on it and now no one knows what it is and we cannot use our ipmi tools and other useful things because we cannot access the BMC.  Does anyone know how to reset the password or recover it?  I have physical access and OS access to the server so I can do whatever may be needed.  I have been googling for this and have found nothing.  I know there is a PWRD_EN jumper on the motherboard, but I am not sure if this is for the BMC password or how this jumper even works.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 

6.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2014 13:00

Hello

The only way I know of to change the BMC password on our cloud boxes is via command line. You will need to use IPMI from the local system. It should not require a user/pass to do local IPMI commands. The command should be something like this:

#ipmitool user set password 2 newpassword

The default user/pass is root/root. After you enter a password with that command you should be able to log in with root/newpassword. If your current OS does not have IPMI capability then you can boot to a Linux live distribution to run the command.

Thanks

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 13:00

Thank you, that worked!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2014 09:00

Danil thank you man 

No Events found!