Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2014 10:00

OMSA 7.4 on Windows 7 confusion

Does anyone know if OMSA 7.4 works in Windows 7 (x64 Enterprise). I have a Dell PE1950 that needs to run this OS for some custom software. I want to monitor this servers hardware health in Dell OME that runs on another box,

Clicking the download link for OMSA 7.4

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-r820?driverId=28KFC&osCode=WS8R2&fileId=3350815027

..and checking "compatibility" I can see Windows 7 is listed. However after installing I'm unable to log in via the app or going to https://my-server-name:1311

Also I don't understand why the app and web page ask for a host name. I just want to log into the local box OMSA is running on to see the hardware stats.

This is the first time I've used OMSA on WIndows - all my other systems are Linux. Those don't ask for a host name when you log in.

I've spent a good hour hunting around the many many many documents hosted on this site and not managed to find an answer. Personally I find the whole multitude of product names, combinations and permutations of all the Dell Management software components horribly confusing.

Any help appreciated!

Nick

38 Posts

March 21st, 2014 02:00

Hello Nick, Thanks for your post . From theconfiguration of the system, I see that you are installing OMSA on Windows 7 . This being a Client OS ,you would not be able to install all the OMSA components.
    The “Server Instrumentation” component will not be installed in this case and only “Server Administrator WebServer “ will be installed on the system. You will not be able to view/manage the  System’s Health/System’s Parameters. However, you can still check the WebServer properties. You need to click on the Desktop Shortcut or go to https:// :1311 and click on the “Manage WebServer” link at the bottom of the page.  This will redirect to a page where you have to enter the Local System’s UserName and Password and you can see WebServer properties.

If you want to see Local System's Health status, Please install any of the supported Windows Server Operating Systems.

Do let us know if this answers your query.

Best,

Sahil

25 Posts

March 21st, 2014 03:00

Hello Sahil,

Thanks for your help. Can you tell me where I find a list of supported OS's?

This is what confused me. As mentioned in my initial post, if I go to download OMSA, Windows 7 is listed as supported???

Thanks

Nick

38 Posts

March 21st, 2014 04:00

Hi Nick,

I should've given the link my previous post. My Bad!

Here you go ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_software/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt_opnmng_sw/dell-opnmang-sw-v7.4_Reference%20Guide5_en-us.pdf .   For OMSA on Windows, Please check page 39.

Also, Windows 7 is a supported OS for OMSA. On client OS, we support only WebServer component installation.

On Server OS you can install all the components of OMSA including instrumentation, which will enable you to check out System's health.

Refer the Dell TechCenter for more info on OMSA http://delltechcenter.com/omsa.

Do let us know if this helped.

Thanks,

Sahil

3 Posts

August 27th, 2014 08:00

Hi there,

We have been trying to use Dell Omsa and Ome software lately.

The way you have explained so far, it wont be possible to use the "Command Line Interface" if OMSA is installed on windows 7. Is that right?

Is there anyway to get around it so we can be able to use "omreport" command?

Thanks in advance

38 Posts

August 27th, 2014 21:00

Hi Arvind_ABZ,

No, you won't be able to use "Command Line Interface" if OMSA is installed on windows 7 as it is a client operating system. You will not be getting the command line interface while installing OMSA on this OS

3 Posts

August 28th, 2014 00:00

Hi again

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Is there any other way to get ithe same information that  OMSA would provide when using a client operating system. (Like windows 7)

Or something we could install, so we have an API to communicate with?

Thanks again for your help

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 11th, 2016 04:00

Hello Sahil

I've been trying to do it on my Win 7 Pro machine and I couldn't manage to get to my controller configuration.I'm pretty sure that it is theoretically possible but DELL's marketing policies block that options.

Honestly this is frustrating DELL's politics to not be able to use the free software just because the OS is not a server one. There are people who use DELL RAID configurations in workstation environment (Me) and they don't need a server OS.

Even more frustrating is the fact that other company (LSI), who is DELL's part manufacturer did not introduce such a stupid limitation and allowed users to use their MegaRAID Storage Manager to manage RAID controllers. So I use their software which does the job perfectly.

I've seen many people having that problem and DELL doesn't really seem to care at all and this is me - stubborn enough to find the solution.

Just to let you know so you can advise people to use MegaRAID software instead.

Kind regards

Wojciech

No Events found!