Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 8th, 2017 04:00

iDRAC v6 firmware update using racadm from a remote Windows desktop

I have an iDRAC v6 with firmware v1.9 that I need to update.  It resides on a dell r610 VMware host.

The browser based update fails (this is a known problem according to Dell).

I can putty to the iDRAC and have run 

racadm fwupdate  -u -g -d "C:\Sources\Dell\iDRAC 6\ESM_Firmware_9GJYW_WN32_2.90_A00.exe"

where the path is a path on the Windows machine from which I am accessing the iDRAC.  This fails as well.  All other racadm commands I have tried work fine, except the update firmware command.

Can you provide an example of the exact syntax needed to upgrade v6 iDRAC firmware from a remote windows desktop location.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

September 12th, 2017 23:00

To update iDRAC firmware using SSH you need to use firmimg.d6 file with TFTP server.

firmimg.d6 file is available @ Link. Download file "iDRAC6_2.90_A00_FW_IMG.exe". this is a self extractable file and once you extract you can get firmimg.d6 file from it. 

Below is syntax of racadm command to update iDRAC FW with TFTP

racadm fwupdate -g -u -a < path >

where path is the location on the TFTP server where the firmimg.d6 is stored including the TFTP server IP address

Path: < TFTP Server IP > -d < Firmware image path on TFTP server >

Case1: If firmimg.d6 image is in tftp root folder, path

racadm fwupdate -g -u -a < TFTP Server IP Address >

Case2: If firmimg.d6 image is in sub folder of tftp root

racadm fwupdate -g -u -a < TFTP Server IP Address > -d < Sub folder Path >

98 Posts

September 13th, 2017 19:00

Thank you for this answer.  These are the details I was looking for.

But because I don't have a TFTP server handy, we took down the VMware host, booted it using a Server2016 on a USB stick, and ran the windows-64 version of the install program.

That worked fine.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

September 13th, 2017 21:00

If yo don't want to use TFTP then you can update iDRAC FW remotely using remote racadm. To do this you need to install Racadm SW (Link) on a remote windows machine and run below command to update iDRAC FW.

racadm -r -u -p fwupdate -p -u -d

E.g. racadm -r 192.168.10.12 -u root -p calvin fwupdate -p -u -d c:\iDRAC62.90

Note : This command will take around 15 to 20 minutes to update iDRAC

98 Posts

September 14th, 2017 05:00

OK.  This is a great tip.  I did download the iDRAC manual, but the instructions were not as specific as what you just provided.

I'll use this method next time.

Thank you so much.

1 Rookie

• 

59 Posts

January 11th, 2021 03:00

ou linked to an article of how to do it on an iDrac 8, did you notice the title of the thread question? Does it work the same on an iDrac 6 running FW 2.92 (Build 05) ?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 11th, 2021 06:00

@universal4  I am not sure which link are you referring here. The racadm commands I posted on this post will work for iDRAC 6 2.92 FW as well. Let me know if you are looking for any other details.

• 

3.5K Posts

January 11th, 2021 07:00

Hello,

yes please let us know if need more support on it.

Thanks

Marco

1 Rookie

• 

59 Posts

January 11th, 2021 13:00

Look at the link you posted,, it clearly shows poweredge-r910, and has details for drac 8.

Thank you however for verifying that the syntax should be the same with drac two generations prior, then the title of the thread and the actual question that was asked, but it may help others.

Although this will likely not fix my problem, since 1.5.1.57 refuses to upgrade on a drac running FW 2.92 (Build 05) with all methods I have tried so far, even with successful connection to Dell's ftp site from inside the upgrade platform section of the card itself.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

January 11th, 2021 13:00

Hello,

If you scroll down on that page, you'll see that a variety of systems are supported. You would need to click on the dropdown button that says, "Compatible Systems." Once you do, you will see that systems from the 11th, 12th, and 13th generation of server are listed. These servers have the iDRAC6, iDRAC7, and iDRAC8 within them, respectively. I believe we're having a bit of a miscommunication, but the commands that Shine provided would work for iDRAC6 devices, as well as iDRAC8 devices.

1 Rookie

• 

59 Posts

January 11th, 2021 17:00

I have confirmed the syntax listed on drac 8 pages works on drac6, HOWEVER it only works on the FW which I did NOT need (after 20 minutes) but it will fail 100% of the time on the legacy firmware trying to upgrade from 1.5.1.57 to 1.5.7.5.4

Dell's FTP site also fails, and Dell Open Manage Enterprise is of no help.

Only path forward I see is a few hour drive to the data center, removing of the raid, throwing in a set of drives that have the bare metal windows install for that hardware, and running the windows legacy update.

By the way the failure comes after it has already told me to wait and that it is continuing with the execution of the update.

• 

3.4K Posts

January 11th, 2021 20:00

Hi,

Have you tried another version of the firmware? Can you show me the link to the firmware that you have downloaded? When the update has failed, what exact error is displayed? Do you have a screenshot of it?

1 Rookie

• 

59 Posts

January 11th, 2021 21:00

I am using the same version on this particular R710 that I also have used on other R710's. I have downloaded the file some years ago so providing a link is impossible.

drac_cmd.jpg

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 11th, 2021 23:00

Looks like you are trying to update lifecycle controller firmware using racadm. Racadm fwupdate command is used to update iDRAC firmware. You can download "Dell LifeCycle Controller v1.7.5 Repair Package" and try flashing using below racadm command. Repair Package is used to repair LifeCycle Controller and it will also update LifeCycle Controller. You can download the Repair Package from below location

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=80xj1&oscode=ws8r2&productcode=poweredge-r710 

1 Rookie

• 

59 Posts

January 12th, 2021 01:00

Since I had already stated I had 292 (Build 5) loaded of firmware, and you acknowledge I did as you said the racadm commands worked on that firmware, if racadm normally is only used for the firmware, and I am actually wanting to upgrade the firmware, why then is it not clarified that racadm can only be used to upgrade firmware and not firmware? (the legacy firmware is in fact firmware also)

Yea, the logic doesn't make sense at all does it?

Also, the instructions from Dell on the page you linked state the .usc file is a self extracting file, it is NOT, and in fact on 05-09-2014 04:49 PM PM Dell Josh stated in another thread it is not, (thread titled RE: USC issues) and yet Dell instructions are providing incorrect information telling folks incorrect instructions on the firmware instructions pages.

Dell Josh instructions from a bunch of years ago were correct and I have run the fix package and that appears on the surface to have done the trick and the legacy firmware is reporting the correct version now and I have verified that everything is intact during a virtual console boot from bios.

I appreciate a few reps took the time to continually check back to provide additional guidance during each step that left me more frustrated after failure.

You guys should look at those instruction pages for any additional cases of usc files listed with the incorrect instructions, and add the instructions that are more accurate, or even refer folks to consider visit the community for help when they get stuck.

• 

3.5K Posts

January 12th, 2021 05:00

Hello,

thanks for your feedback and sorry for the issue in the description. Yes we are managing this official forum in the best way and it is important to receive feedback from the customers like yours.

Thanks

Marco

No Events found!