Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2010 02:00

Broken screen - what can I do?

I have had my streak for 2 weeks, and the screen has stopped working. the glass at the front is perfect, but it looks like something behind the glass has broken.

I bought it from an o2 shop.

where can I get it repaired, and is it a warranty repair?

Thanks

2 Posts

August 9th, 2010 13:00

The LCD screen behind the gorilla glass has 'shattered' with white and black lines running at multiple angles across the screen. The gorilla glass has not broken. The Streak is now unusable.

My Streak was not dropped, has had nothing impact upon it and has not been in contact with water. It has been kept in the Dell leather wallet and has never been carried loose in the pocket. I just turned it on and there it was. Broken. 

I took it back to O2 who in turn have sent it to Dell to have an engineer look at it to decide what caused the break. O2 will replace it if the engineer agrees that the Streak was not subject to accidental damage or they will charge me for a repair if they think I damaged it. Now, call me an old cynic but why would a Dell engineer admit liability for a poor quality build? I could be wrong of course and the Streak is replaced without quibble.

I would like to hear from people who have experienced the same thing with their Streak. I need to hear from people whose LCD screen broke but who did not drop it or damage it themselves. If we can identify a group of people with the same 'spontaneous' screen break problem then we are all in a stronger position to have the appropriate remedy applied. Can you let me know what your experience has been?

Many thanks.

Michael.

5 Posts

August 9th, 2010 14:00

I'm sad to say that they didnt in the end replace my handset. It was unfortunate that they had agreed to replace it and then changed their minds but there we go.

Its a shame, but I feel that the handset is not that delicate despite what other people in this thread have said. If you are honest, I think you will agree that the deivce will have probably had some impact.

A small warning; I bought a replacement screen on ebay. It arrived and it is indeed a brand new screen. But when I stripped down the old handset, it was simply not possible to get the old one apart intact in order to install the new screen. The replacement screens do NOT come with the gorilla glass attached. If anyone wants the new screen, do please let me know.

However, I had enjoyed mine so much, I bought another one. It was a tough decision but I in the end am glad. I instantly insured the second one! An eye wateringly expensive experience...

Good luck to you all.

Paul

28 Posts

August 10th, 2010 10:00

@ paul-home: How can you accept the decision not to replace or repair the device if you are not the cause of the problem ?

I bought my dell streak in France 2 weeks ago. Got already a tiny scratch, never felt on the floor, no shock, always in its pouch.......:emotion-12:

Now also the top left side of the plastic part where the sensor is located is moving a bit

I do think there is a build problem with the streak. I love the device but it is not normal that the screen is so fragile as it is advertized

as a gorilla though screen..........

August 17th, 2010 06:00

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2010 09:00

@Paul-home :  Unlike what you seem to think, my Dell Streak didn't get any shock nor did it fall : The Gorilla glass was not broken, the LED layer was.  And whatever can be said, these are facts.

Sofar, Dell decided to repare or change it.  The device was picked-up at my home 9 days ago to fly via UPS to Flextronics Budapest (Hungary) according to the address on the box, and I have been waiting since, with no news : I have been told that the transporter will notify me when it comes.

I miss it bad !

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2010 09:00

@Paul-home :  Unlike what you seem to think, my Dell Streak didn't get any shock nor did it fall : The Gorilla glass was not broken, the LED layer was.  And whatever can be said, these are facts.

Sofar, Dell decided to repare or change it.  The device was picked-up at my home 9 days ago to fly via UPS to Flextronics Budapest (Hungary) according to the address on the box, and I have been waiting since, with no news : I have been told that the transporter will notify me when it comes.

I miss it bad !

After reviewing this thread, I noticed that you (Paul-Home) wrote that Dell gave you a new device to replace the brocken one ?  You have 2 of them ?

1 Message

August 21st, 2010 01:00

i have had the same problem had device 2 weeks and the same has happened have taken it to o2 and they are sending it of i take it to dell as they said overseas to get an engineer look at it to me it should b covered under warranty .it no good having a screen which can with stand anything if lcd screen does not .will post what happens when device returned.

thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 04:00

2 weeks later, I am still waiting for the machine to be back or for a new one.  No news good news ?

I don't like gorillas...  They don't talk enough.

8 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 04:00

Guess what?! My screen (under the gorilla glass) has cracked without warning! O2 said to either buy a new phone or get it sent away... If anyone gets a replacement though, won't it just happen again? :emotion-40:

8 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 14:00

Update - Taken it to the Carphone Warehouse and, even armed with this forum, the man said it was impossible for it to break on it's own! What a fool, it isn't just me as we know who it's happened to! They wouldn't send it off and said to get a new one or pay for it to be fixed. The battle will continue...

August 28th, 2010 00:00

Hi Guys

I have had my Dell Streak 17 days, the screen has stopped working correctly. there are no marks any where on the unit at all . I have not dropped it or missused it in any way. I will be taking it back first thing in the morning to my local o2 shop. there returns policy states, if returned with in 28 days they will replace it or money back.

the Dell Streak is a great phone only if it works. Dell need to sort this problem out with the streak or get out of the phone business. I have also sent a report to the Trading Standards Office. about the quality problem in the build.

Thanks

August 28th, 2010 09:00

Hi Guys

just a update, went to my local O2 shop with my Dell Streak and they changed it. the staff was very good.

thanks O2

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 28th, 2010 11:00

Very happy for you !  Enjoy you toy. Tell us if this one is working better !

2 Posts

August 28th, 2010 16:00

Update

My Streak was replaced free of charge by O2 after the Dell engineers report verified my claim that the LCD screen broke without me causing the damage.

My view is that the Streak's screen has a design fault and the chances that it will break again are quite high. I have, therefore, decided to sell the Streak and upgrade to an iPhone 4.

M

8 Posts

September 13th, 2010 14:00

May I ask, has anyone e-mailed Dell and got a replacement?

Please reply! I did but they take a while, just wanted to know if anyone else has and how long it took - still not sorted mine out!! :(

Thanks!:emotion-42:

No Events found!