Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 7th, 2012 11:00

Changing display language in an unlocked Dell Venue Pro

I bought A Dell venue pro a while ago. It's a nice phone. the best looking one from the first gen wp7 devices IMO. but there's an issue with this phone that Microsoft Answers directed me to discuss with dell.

the ability to change the phone's display language to spanish.

Apparently, carriers or manufacturers are the one's that determine wich languages are supported in their devices. I don't understand the decision of selling unlocked phones wich obviously are to be used abroad, and not include any language other than english. but I need to change the language, and according to microsoft, dell is the only one that can help me with this matter. I'm willing to follow any necesary steps to be able to change the phone's display language, as it gets frustrating, specially when using the "tellme" feature and having to use it speaking in english in a spanish speaking enviroment... it's rather awkward actually.

Please. I've tried to get your attention with another question in the past only to be ignored completely. there are only a few of us who chose dell venue pro, (compared to sales on other wp7 devices) it's not very nice to also ignore our questions.

8 Posts

January 9th, 2012 12:00

I might be wrong, but best to my knowledge, you need to consider this smartphone like a computer. Which means, if you buy a Windows OS for your computer in a specific language it is not easy to convert the language to another one. Yes, there are language packages available from MS for that, but sometime translations really . You never feel 100% comfortable using additional language packages on OS. Because of that we prefer to buy an OS (or a computer with an OS) that we feel most comfortable with.

DVP or similar smartphones are not like the old fashion mobile phones, and hence you cannot easily change language directly from settings. It needs another ROM in desired language (just like an OS on computer if we don't consider disturbing additional language packages). Well, 99% this will be a custom ROM from somewhere in internet and will require hacking of the phone to install it. I don't think that either Dell or the carriers (TMobile, Att etc) will release a rom in a language different than English at least within USA.

I had bought an HTC from German TMobile, and it came with German Windows Mobile (WM6.5)  ROM. Well, for sure in internet there were many other WM6.5 custom ROMs in English to install and convert it to English I think you need to check internet if someone already cooked a Spanish ROM tested on DVP and working smooth. But i do not recommend this approach, there're always downsides and something may not work properly...

7 Posts

January 10th, 2012 11:00

Hi, thanks for your reply, well, actually all translations for the wp7 OS are supplied by Microsoft directly. they are not homebrew, and in most phones (except DVP) the language can be switched from English to spanish, portuguese, german, etc. without any problem. I'm not planning on going as far as to "hack" the phone, as there should be an easier way to apply a language patch supplied by dell via the updater or some other method.  I've searched the internet on other ways to enable new languages, but they require a developer unlocked phone, and that means I should pay an additional fee of 99$ only to be able to hack a new language into the phone...

No Events found!