Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2010 01:00

Dell Streak 5

Hi! I got Dell Streak just 3 days ago. The display is fabulous and networking on 3G is excellent. I was using SE as modem thru USB & BT for connecting my PC & Laptop to internet. Now how to use Dell Streak as USB & BT modem? Also 1.6 sucks. The call volume is also very low even at full volume. Even with speakerphone on, the results are much frustrating, compelling to rummage for the earphones everytime the phone rings. Basic functions like file transfer are not supported. The photo quality of the phone is also not much to discuss about. The battery drains within one day even with less than moderate use. This makes it necessary to turn down the brightness to minimum and switching off 3G to make it last a day. However, I sorted the problem reported with Windows Explorer after installing PC Suite. I uninstalled SE PC Suite, installed Streak's PC Suite, and re-installed SE PC Suite( I need it to access internet and have to switch SIM everytime:emotion-39:). I do not know about the policy of Dell, but even registering for the community proved quite irritating. I wanted to add my Dell Streak in My Devices but the portal keeps refusing, even though I am entering the details correctly. I think Dell Streak still lacks some utility compared to my old P990i. Can anyone help on the issue of using Dell Streak as a modem?

70 Posts

November 7th, 2010 05:00

Sorry to hear about all the problems you are experiencing with your Dell Streak, I would have thought having read this forum it might have given you warning not to Buy!

Will these Problems be corrected is the big question, 5+ months on and Dell have not resolved any of the problems let alone admitted to them. so it might not be advisable to wait.

Personally if I was you  I would return it for a refund and buy something I knew worked.  If its a large screen you want with Android then condider the HTC Desire HD or the New Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Either of these models you will be assured of a well thought out design, excellent build quality and first class customer support.

70 Posts

November 7th, 2010 07:00

Where abouts are you? HTC is available in most every country in the world. 

Regards the 2.2 update, I would not hold my breath. Even if Dell did resolve the software issues, it will the resolve the poor design , and build quality issues. No matter what you do with the Streak it is designed to fail on one or more design points.  Your handset is going to spend more time being repaired than in use.

Only repair that will work will be the recall and redesign with a V2 model. The current Dell Streak will always be nothing more than a concept design never a finished product.

27 Posts

November 7th, 2010 07:00

Thanks nsaspooks. I did a bit of survey before going for Streak. HTC is not available easily in my area nor do they have any centre where I can see it first hand before making my decision, Galaxy Tab is a tad larger for my requirement. I also pondered over Samsung Galaxy S, but it lacks Flash. Here iPhone is not available and the fact that you need to snip your SIM went against the otherwise a near perfect phone. Actually streak fits the bill perfectly except for these issues some of which may be sorted out, if there (at all) is an update to Froyo. Well, if they do'nt, I don't see any reason why they will even remain in this segment at all with other devices available. (DELL are you listening?) Till then I will (am) wait (stuck) before asking for a refund.

27 Posts

November 7th, 2010 22:00

I fully agree. You know what? I discovered that sometimes screen simply fails to respond. I tried to ignore a call but nothing happened and the phone continued to ring. However, I found a widget PdaNet which will allow me to use Streak as modem. I will give it a try next I get the time. Btw I am based in in a small town of Gujarat, India.

8 Posts

November 7th, 2010 22:00

thts a known bug! it is becos of the proximity sensor ensure u don't have your hand on top of the phone! :)

70 Posts

November 8th, 2010 02:00

http://www.htc.com/in/where_to_buy.aspx  I see HTC is available in Inda but according to the HTC web site India the Desire HD has not been launched yet.

I certainly hope you do not experience to many difficulties with your Streak that I have.

I have completely dropped the streak which I hoped to intoduce to my companies.

Currently I have 3 New and Boxed replacement 32GB streaks all sim free to dispose of, and possibly 5 more if Dell refuse to give me a refund. They have not accepted that all the faults with the streaks are their's (Its the fault of the company they sub contracted to make it and the one who did the software, Maybe nothing was Dell's they just branded it)

I am not happy to accept second best or a device more unstable than a kiddy on Crack. And why should I have to root a new device and flash custom Roms just to make it work! Not only does it invalidate your warranty and risk Bricking your device (Happens to the most experience) All everyone wanted was what Dell Promised. And I can flash roms all day long but it still will not resolve the poor build quality, poor quality finish, poor quality design and poor quality components.

I guess China will be nocking out Replica's for Christmas sub £100 and probably better built and bugs ironed out. (Probably badged up "Dill" :D)

27 Posts

November 9th, 2010 05:00

Good news. I got Pdanet working and can access internet on my PC thru Dell Streak. The only issue is dropped signal by the Service Provider. The speed with 3G is excellent. However, there is a catch, PdaNet is a paid osftware after trial period for accessing secure sites. Anyhow, one issue sorted for the present but I heard that with Froyo update :emotion-42: the issue of tethering will be sorted out. I envy you nsaspooks with 8 Dell Streaks to dump. SE is also an option to consider. It has a feature I have not seen in any other phone till now. You can make a list of contacts to allow calls. All other callers get a busy tone. And this is a phone feature not a service provider's facility. Anyway, I am getting used to Dell Streak, maybe it is Stockholm syndrome. Better wait and watch for better offers with Froyo companyinstalled rather than waiting expectantly. Btw still not able to add it to My Systems or Devices, whatever.

27 Posts

November 12th, 2010 19:00

Tnx sriram. You r right.  I deliberately blocked the sensor to confirm this. The trouble is u cannot hold the phone properly without either touching a sensor or a button. In another thread I read that Dell Streak is having 2.1, I believe the official line was that no streak with 2.1 was to be released as Dell was focusing on Froyo and direct upgrade from 1.6 to 2.2 would be provided. Anyway, ranida you are lucky to have 2.1, also, no need to send the instrument as it has to be OTA. but ensure u have a good 3G connection. You can also connect the phone to ugrade through PC. Unofficial upgrades are available, but are risky and cumbersome. Also be sure to back up your data as it will be wiped clean during upgrade.

27 Posts

November 14th, 2010 08:00

Till now there is no news of promised update. Streak does not have FM radio. But I have found a no. of applications for listening to radio over internet. If you are an avid listener you can get these applications from android market. What I like is that even though FM service is not available in my area I can still listen to radio using these apps. The call volume is still a problem. No solution in view except to either use speakerphone which too behaves erratically or use earphones provided (quite thoughtful of Dell).

27 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 19:00

Finally good news. Yesterday I got the 2.2 update in India. Everything is fine after update. I also found that if you remove the cellophane over the earpiece, the volume becomes very high and is comparable to the speaker. I think the protective covering muffles the volume and it would be good to remove it altogether as even otherwise it starts peeling off after a few days and makes the phone look shabby.

27 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 09:00

Well, the joy and euphoria are quite shortlived as I join the disgruntled club from being a proud owner of Dell Streak. My phone lost all sound in the earpiece. Speaker and headphones are still in working order. This happened after only less than 2 months of use. I tried to find a solution on this site. But as the Dell has been made famous for treating its customers, I got the information that there is no warranty for my service tag and that it has expired. Quite clever. Dell does not gaurantee or warrantee its products for even two months. or i have to yet purchase the services. After 35k down the drain who would even imagine throwing good money after the bad one. well if anyone has a number or location where i can get my phone inspected, please do inform me as i have full faith on Dell not to respond to the problem till it is contacted directly again and again.

27 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 07:00

Good news again, Dell replaced my Streak(the new piece had some problem with vibration mode and so it was instantly replaced with yet another one). I also managed to find the silicon cover which feels good and gives a good grip.

14 Posts

January 22nd, 2011 20:00

Go enjoy your Dell TPhone ( Tablet-Phone).

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 09:00

We are committed to doing business ethically and with integrity. We will also act transparently and engage our stakeholders on what we’re doing to be better corporate citizens~ this is the quote from one of their page and yet when I tried to get support on an update (2.2 FROYO) THAT they send to my phone OTA they tell me that because my unit is 48 days out of warranty I must pay 250.00 for them to replace the unit.  There's a lot of ethical mindset right there and I'm not even going to speak of integrity hello! DELL!! INTEGRITY IS WHAT YOU DO WHEN NO ONE ELSE IS LOOKING TO SEE IF YOU'RE DOING IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS! STAND BEHIND YOUR THE SOFTWARE YOU RELEASE AND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT!!  YOUR FROYO UPDATE NOT ONLY DID IT MAKE MY STREAK SLOW BUT ALSO NOW IT PICKED UP THE ANNOYING HABBIT OF RESETTING ITSELF EVERY SO OFTEN COMES BACK TO THE DELL BOOT SCREEN AND HANGS THIS IS SO ANNOYING TO THE POINT THAT I MUST REMOVE THE BATTERY FOR AT LEAST 4-10 MINS IN ORDER TO GET A GOOD BOOT.  HOPEFULLY THERE'S NOT AN EMERGENCY WHILE I DON'T HAVE A PHONE THAT WORKS DURING THOSE 4-10 MINS  ETHICALLY AND WITH INTEGRITY!! YEAH RIGHT!  THANKS A LOT DELL.

2 Posts

October 25th, 2011 01:00

My Dell Streak 5 also constantly shutting down ever since I started downloading apps. This is so frustrating!!!! Is it the same even with the latest software?

No Events found!