Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2015 20:00

Dell Venue 8 3840 Extremely Slow

I received the Venue 8 as a Christmas gift. I like the size and the screen and thought this was suppose to be decent in the speed department. However mine is extremely slow. Last night I didn't a half hour trying to scroll through facebook. After restarting the tablet, I spent another half hour trying to get to the Dell support page. When I push the back button it can take anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes for it to work. Any ideas on why it is so slow? Anything I can do? 

2 Posts

June 27th, 2015 06:00

If it's not a problem with the RAM, I would literally kill right now for someone to make a Cyanogenmod for this tablet. Hopefully that'll give the tablet a new life.

August 11th, 2015 12:00

Do not allow the dell firmware update and if you already have, remove it. Problem solved.......

42 Posts

August 12th, 2015 05:00

What firmware update is it and how do I remove it?

1 Message

August 27th, 2015 20:00

This tablet is useless. Comically slow. writing this review on it has taken 25 minutes so far, and will be the last thing I do on it. I thought I had a lemon, but after reading reviews, its clear that this is just a terrible device. deactivating the bloatware that dell installed is a hilarious solution. I think i will avoid dell tablets and look elsewhere.

42 Posts

August 29th, 2015 18:00

How do you remove the firmware update? I was told you couldn't. 

August 29th, 2015 18:00

Do not allow your tablet to do the firmware update. If it does, take it off. I had the same issues until I removed firmware update. My 3840 is fast...... It really is. Try the food and you will see...

2 Posts

September 29th, 2015 18:00

I had the first version of dell venue 8 and it had the same issue. Dell repaired it twice with the same results. Dell then replaced it with the second version of the Dell venue 8 and it does the same thing. I gave up on it for 6 months and then one day decided I decided to reset it to factory and only install Kodi to see if it would work OK at video streaming, it worked great. Then I installed chrome as my web browser and after browsing in chrome for a few minutes it started running slow again. It got slower and slower then stops responding to any commands through the touch screen, I would have to hold the power button to reboot it and after restarting it would work again but once I would go on the internet using chrome it would eventually do it again. I deleted chrome and guess what problem gone, re-installed chrome and problem comes back. Solution use the native web browser built into 4.4.4 (called " Browser"). Give it a try my Cell runs great now.

1 Message

January 19th, 2016 17:00

Wow!  I can't believe this!  That solution works!  To confirm I did what the user (2 posts above) suggested:

Go to Settings/System/About tablet. Click many times on BuildNumber to activate Developer more. Return to the main menu of Settings. Now, go to {Developer options}. In Background on process limit, choose No background process.  The tablet should work fine now.

I did that and the tablet is running just fine now.  I had purchased this for my 78 year old mother for Xmas 2014. At first it worked fine. She was using it just for Facebook and to read the daily paper. Then she started complaining that it would just freeze and she couldn't do anything.  I thought it was 'user error' honestly, but I spent some time recently trying to resolve the issue at her house to no avail, so I brought it home to try and troubleshoot.  I just feel so blessed that the users were all trying to share their solutions and I'm happy I was able to read their post. It seems that Dell could email out this solution to the registered users.  Good luck to anyone else having this problem. 

March 1st, 2016 13:00

The Developer mode/Background Processes solution is the game changer here, and the "My Dell" cleanup tool is very handy to be aware of as well.

Between the two of them this tablet has been completely reborn before my eyes, I never thought it would run this good! I just hope every owner of these neglected little bricks finds their way here someday...

28 Posts

March 1st, 2016 15:00

I sold mine and got a Surface 3.  I couldn't be more relieved.  Now I have a tablet that can type notes without crashing!!!

March 1st, 2016 15:00

"ROCKETMAN16 WROTE:

I sold mine and got a Surface 3.  I couldn't be more relieved.  Now I have a tablet that can type notes without crashing!!!"

That's quite a jump! I only use my tab for viewing PDFs and a little doodling - for which it is fine, but I would definitely like to afford a surface...

28 Posts

March 1st, 2016 21:00

Well, I got the affordable $500 version instead of the Pro 3, since I already have a good laptop.  I really do not regret it at all :) running full Windows 10 on such a light yet innovative device is amazing

March 1st, 2016 21:00

They really are the best of both worlds... Someday... :D

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 03:00

Hope everything turned out well. I had similar problems as well but they resolved on their own. Silly technology.

42 Posts

March 6th, 2016 07:00

Didn't help mine. I just spent around 20 minutes trying to see if an item on a website was available in my local store. Only takes a minute or 2 on my phone. The email I got for this thread said this was a verified answer.I don't think so and I'd really like to know how they "verified" it, just like I want to know how this unit for a good rating on CNET. Pisses me off that they got away with this.

No Events found!