Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2014 12:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro 3G - Sleep / Wake Up Issues

Hello

A few days ago I bought Dell Venue 8 Pro 3G tablet. I have all available Windows Updates, latest drivers and BIOS from "My Dell". Unfortunately my tablet has some issues with sleep mode.

1. Only "Shutdown" and "Restart" options are available in "Power" drop-down menu in the charm-bar. "Sleep" is not available and I can't turn off the screen by pressing Power button on the right side of tablet. I did some tests using powercfg command line tool and I found, that the mobile driver (or hardware) prevents going to sleep mode: If I disable the driver, I can put my device into sleep mode with no issues.

Mobile broadband driver:

Dell Wireless 5570e HSPA+ (42Mbps) Mobile Broadband Card #4
Date: 9th July 2014
Version: 14.7.1050.64

2. Waking up the device from the sleep mode does not work if you do that after the first 10 sec in sleep mode.

When I disable WiFi driver in the Device Manager, waking up works well even a few hours after the sleep mode was initiated.

WiFi Driver:

Dell Wireless 1538 802.11 a/g/n Adapter.
Date: 4th July 2014
Version: 3.7.2.59655

I don't know if these issues are hardware-based or software/driver based.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Regards,

Dominik

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 17th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for all responses and suggestions.

I contacted my local Dell support (PL) and they suggested to do the recovery, but when I tried to do it, the error message appeared saying that the recovery partition is corrupted. Dell sent me "Dell OS Recovery and Restore USB Key" (USB pendrive), but unfortunately it doesn't work (my tablet hung during the recovery process) so they offered to pick up the device in this week.

Thanks SisiraB for suggestions about WWAN mobile driver. I will try your solution when Dell service returns my tablet.

Roel, it's unacceptable that Dell can't release a working 3G driver for a such long time.

I did some research, and the latest WWAN mobile driver does not support connected-standby mode and it prevents from going sleep:

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../windows-8-does-not-go-to-sleep-how-to-identify-the-deviceapp-preventing-sleep

I hope all issues gone with the newest WWAN driver release in December.

November 20th, 2014 15:00

I just noticed version A06 of the driver has been released on the Dell page.

My hope went up - for a short while.

After installing the update it's clear that this does not fix the connected standby issue. The driver still does not support connected standby and still disables sleep on systems that support ACPI S0 instead of S3 sleep.

My Venue 11 is going back for "repair" tomorrow.

November 24th, 2014 08:00

Same problem here...  I have only shutdown or restart options and the power button is only working for a shutdown. I'm using the latest bios, a09, and the latest 3g driver, a06.

November 26th, 2014 05:00

Well, my Venue 11 is on the way back. According to the details page for the service request, they ordered the following parts:

7YX7K 1 ASSEMBLY...,PRINTED WIRING ASSY...,USB-IO,JNCT
68DP9 1 WIRELESS WIDE AREA NETWORK..., Mobile Broadband, M.2, DW5570E, Cagney (EMEA, APJ, ROW)
1PMJF 1 SERVICE KIT...,PRINTED WIRING ASSY...,PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD)...,64G,WIRELESS WIDE AREA NETWORK...,W8H

I can't imagine replacing the broadband card fixed this issue. Anyway, we'll see, I guess it will be back here tomorrow.

November 27th, 2014 03:00

Just got UPS at the door with my Venue pro 11 back from Anovo (Dell's repair partner).

Took it out of the box, turned it on, and as I suspected: no change at all.

Sleep is unavailable, the power button doesn't function.

After disabling the 3G card sleep is back.

November 27th, 2014 04:00

Yesterday, after talking with Dell support, I tried a fresh install of Windows 8.1 on my Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 (Bios A09).

First I created a bootable USB flash drive with a ISO of Windows 8.1 Pro, then I instructed the tablet to boot from the flash drive. I deleted all the existing partitions (I had to attach a USB hub with a mouse and a keyboard) and launched the installation. After it finished installing, I downloaded and installed the following drivers from the Dell support site:

• Intel Atom Z3000 Series Driver
    5830_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Driver_PKVD4_WN_603.9600.2067.27988_A05.EXE
  • Intel Trusted Execution Engine Interface Driver
    5830_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Driver_76XFC_WN_2.1_A00.EXE
  • Dell Wireless 1518 Wifi+Bluetooth Driver
    5830_Network_Driver_95DV0_WN_3.7.2.59_A04.EXE
  • Dell Wireless 5570 WWAN Mobile Broadband and GNSS (GPS) Driver
    Communications_Driver_WKF8V_WN_6.5.4213.509_A06.EXE

After that all devices were correctly recognized. I've also done a Windows Update to install all available updates from Microsoft.

Now the system is working fine, sleep is working (automatically or with the power button) and also the 3G connection is ok.

7 Posts

November 28th, 2014 07:00

I installed the Wwan a06 driver. but did not work properly and sleep disappeared. I created a restore point before installing the driver and managed to restore the tab to the previous state. I believe that this driver is not fixed or it is causing this problem due to a conflict with some other driver that I have installed where gerardraofransecky has not installed.

7 Posts

November 29th, 2014 07:00

The only Driver I had on my tablet before A06 is the one that comes originally with the tab. It is a driver form Microsoft and not from Dell or Sierra. I do not have license to install windows separately and has only the version that comes with the tab (Win 8.1 home, not Pro). Therefore I can not do a fresh install from a USB stick. The only option for fresh install is to use "Update and Recovery" and I used "Refresh your PC without affecting your files". This will install the Microsoft driver by default. None of the Driver version A03, A04 or A05 worked for me. I guess all these drives has conflict with the original Microsoft driver or with it's previous driver version.

When you install windows from USB stick and if windows does not install a driver by default for the device than you have chance to install the latest driver without any conflict.

Those who has win 8.1 on a USB stick can try this and confirm.

I need to find a way to install a fresh copy of windows form USB stick and use the same license comes with the tab. I am not quite sure whether this is possible. Can anybody help on this?

November 29th, 2014 07:00

I installed the Wwan a06 driver. but did not work properly and sleep disappeared. I created a restore point before installing the driver and managed to restore the tab to the previous state. I believe that this driver is not fixed or it is causing this problem due to a conflict with some other driver that I have installed where gerardraofransecky has not installed.

I think you're right...

In my Venue Pro 8 sleep was working with driver version A03, A04 and A05. After upgrading to version A06 the sleep function disappeared. But with a fresh install and driver A06 it's working again. As you say, maybe it's a conflict with some other driver...

November 29th, 2014 13:00

After a fresh install no drivers are installed, maybe there's one available through Windows Update but I didn't opened a network connection until I finished installing all the drivers.

The product key for your license should already be saved in the bios of the machine, Dell support confirmed that. I used a different license (also my Venue Pro comes with Windows 8 Home, but I used a license of Pro). 

6 Posts

December 1st, 2014 05:00

After installing broadband driver A06:

- still installing multiple instances (#3,#4 etc)
- 3G connection is improved (beter signal strength)
- no sleepmode available if device is active
- with device deactivated sleepmode is available but the system does not go in to suspended mode (screen goes black, but system keeps running, sleepstudy shows broadband device 100% on)

I uninstalled the broadband device driver and now the system goes in to suspended mode properly (but no 3G connection of course)

December 11th, 2014 05:00

Jep, same here. Reinstalling does not work.

However, there /is/ a solution for the Venue 11: their new 7000 series.

I'm still struggling with Dell. They replaced the broadband card twice. The first time through collect and.return, the second time a few days ago when they sent over an engineer.

That engineer managed to break the docking connector, and of course did not change anything to fix the 3G/sleep issue.

They now offered me to replace the system. With - imagine this - a Dell Venue 11 5130 /without/ 3G (and without Office). Yes, of course, not going to happen.

How shameful. They offered me a EUR 200 cheaper replacement, and one without 3G. If a customer would have trusted upon their judgement and agreed blindly Dell would have the last laugh.

I've tried reaching out to the sales department (account manager). I'm willing to return the system, order a 7000 series and pay for the difference. But so far, not a single response.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 11th, 2014 12:00

Hello!

Thank you for all suggestions.

My Venue 8 Pro 3G returned from Dell Service a few days ago.

They replaced the following components (based on "Collect and Return Repair Service" document):
- Mainboard (SVC, PWA, PLN, 64G, EMMC, WWAN, W8P)
- Wireless Modem (MDM, WRLES, DW5570E, 3G, BEL, HF)

Windows OS was recovered to the original state.

I haven't experienced any wake up/sleep or modem restarting issues since it is repaired. Wireless modem driver has a standard name without any suffixes (#2, #3, ...). So far so good :)

I've installed all Windows 8 updates, but it's worth mentioning that the device came with old drivers:

* Dell Wireless 1538 802.11 a/g/n Adapter
Date: 2013-09-29, Driver Version: 3.7.2.45425

* Dell Wireless 5570e HPSA+ (42Mbps) Mobile Broadband Card
Date: 2013-10-31, Driver Version: 6.3.9600.16453

If you experience similar problems which I had, you should consider contacting the Dell Support, because it could be a hardware-related problem.

Cheers, Dominik

December 15th, 2014 11:00

Still fighting with Dell here.

Did a full reinstall, had Windows update itsself completely and then installed all the latest Dell drivers. No luck, another 6 hours lost. So the "verified answer" above is nonsense.

Dell now tried to claim this on a difference between the "5570" and "5570e" cards. Bullshit, as there is only a single version (5570e), which has always been in both the 8 Pro and 11 Pro I've got here.

Anyone up to going to court over this? I'ld be willing to put funds towards this, getting fed up with Dell. Account managers simply do not respond, and tech support keeps offering to swap it for exactly the same type tablet, but with lower package specs (licenses, no 3G, etc).

7 Posts

December 15th, 2014 16:00

Dear Roel,

I did a full reinstall like the "verified answer" and installed the drivers. Problem diver was Wireless Broadband driver A06. After installing this Wireless card diver did NOT get updated to new version. It remains at original Microsoft driver version 6.3.9600.16453. But this installed the new driver for Sierra Wireless location sensor (GPS). Driver version is 14.10.1030.14 and date is 02-Oct-14. Fresh installation of windows does not have a driver for this and GPS not working without this. I wanted to update GPS driver because it was not working properly and took longer time to get the GPS signal.

But when I install the A06 Driver with the original DELL copy of windows, Wireless 5570e card got updated to new Sierra drivers and sleep issue came. This driver is actual from Sierra (manufacturer of the card)  

Microsoft driver is working fine for me and thought I will keep this diver.

Then I reset the tab to original dell windows image and update all the divers except the Wireless 5570e card driver A06. But only update the Sierra wireless location Sensor driver manually by keeping a copy of expanded files of previous A06 drivers. 

No Events found!